Drinking Fountain.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mr. C, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Mr. C

Mr. C Member

Hi all,
    Hope someone can help me out with this one. I've installed a school drinking fountain. It comes off the mains , through a pressure reduction valve
    (.5 bar), then through a flow regulator valve (4l p/m) then through a filter & onto the fountain.
    The problem I'm getting is that when you press the button on the fountain the water spurts out about a meter before returning to the flow that I need. I thought the flow regulator was supposed to take out the pressure build-up ?
    Could give one of the kids a shock ! or a wet eye !

Any sensible ideas please ??

2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi,
    Checkout the spec for the valve fitted, 0.5 bar, is low, and you’ll need a quality valve to maintain 0.5,
    Wha,t is the inlet pressure side?
    The valve is letting the pressure build up, and only mataining it for the flow

Regards
    Peter

3. Mr. C

Mr. C Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply.
    The mains is about 4 bar. I've got the reducer valve set at 1 bar closed, which drops to .5 when flowing.
    Would upping the pressure & relying on the flow regulator for a constant flow work better ?
    Cheers

4. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    On reflection, may be best to remove the pressure regulator and just say reduce to say 8mm pipe and regulate flow with a valve?

When in use, the pressure will be at max, so the flow will just slow down a bit, and not ‘take someone’s eye out’ !
    Regards
    Peter

5. Mr. C

Mr. C Member

Thanks Peter,
    The pipework is easy enough to change, so I'll try that when Im there next.
    Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your help.

6. Mr. C

Mr. C Member

Hi Peter,
    Sorted at last.
    I removed the flow regulator all together, put the pressure up to about 2.5 bar & fitted a service valve after the filter. Opened the service valve to regulate the flow & Whadda ya know ? BINGO !!

Happy days.

Cheers,

kiaora likes this.