Ring brand front door cameras

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by retiredsparks, Jul 10, 2018.

1. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Guys
    Seen a friends Ring door camera...allows you to view via smart phone..pir activated ..and communication.
    My problem is front door faces sun (east)..so will burn out quickly...and have glare on it I assume.
    I can mount a camera with integral floods higher in protected open porch.
    Which make and models does anyone have experience with or can recommend.
    cheers
    RS

2. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

We have Ring. It has paid for its self now a couple of times when parcels have been damaged, dropped in view of Ring, by delivery person etc. Also double handy for just seeing who's at your door.
    Mine is hard wired via the 12v door bell but have also tried it on its batteries . Last year when in Spain, I was chatting via the Ring to someone at our door. We find it a useful bit of kit and are pleased with the online backup. I now believe that Ring has been sold to Amazon for a very lot of money.

3. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

cheers P
    RS

4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I had a "Ring" bell/door camera for a while, mine faced south/west. Because it faced south/west it got the full afternoon sun, fine in the winter but bright cloudless sunny summers days killed it after the first summer (as you have thought).
    I thought about covering the lens with dark UV reflective plastic like as you would have in sunglass lenses. The space to attach it is so small though, i dumped that idea. In the end i just bought a Tecknet wireless doorbell, not the same of course but no point in having a device connected to my network if i can't use it.

5. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Ring doorbells, the burglars best friend. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

You obviously know nothing at all about how to secure your network then.............................so yes, in your case a "burglars best friend " :rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

Ours faces SW, it lives in the open porch. The sun issue is limited for us, still can see& hear people at the door if you place it accordinly. The amount of days affected by English sun don't affect the overall performance of the Ring door bell. Its value is during the darker months we think and not the Summer ones if you see what in mean. We now don't even bother to go to our door without a quick look via Ring..sorry J Witness can't be asked.

8. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Yep, they is always easey to spot even if the screen is in bright sunlight :D

9. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Securing my network isn't the problem.

Talking through the bell stating your not interested or whatever is, burglars immediately know you are not home or there's enough of chance your not home to risk breaking in.

10. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I have been burgled once in the past and i was at home at the time, they stole my Ducati 1098s from the garage. I must admit, they defo didn't ring the doorbell to see if i was in first though.

11. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Bet you didn't have RING then.

12. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Most scumbag thieves generally dont politely knock on the door and most know when you are out

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Most burglars are utter cowards. They will creep about to try to ensure its an empty house.

14. Sparkielev

A mate of was burgled whilst he was at work him and his missus make very little money and have young baby they cleaned him out including food from the fridge the only punishment for this kind of vermin is sent off to a very cold island and die a slow death, these scumbags have no intrest in doing a weeks work they will bleed the life out honest tax paying folk

15. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

The game is think, show you take an interest in your homes surcurity. Place a little bit of uncertainty as too what other forms of protection you may have. Mind you, if our police don't follow up on cctv ID of burglary and actively chase and prosecute then little point adding more protection. It's a handy bit of kit or at lease we think so. Now in the habit of looking before going to the door. Can activate it to look if you think someone is about, save / send the recording if necessary and record any conversation automatically as it happens....I said/ you said. Anyway, you pay your money and ..

16. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

uurm, yes, but by that time you captured their handsome face on HD video.

17. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

If he did have a ring doorbell then at least he would have had a video of his Ducatti being ridden off into the sun-set to remember it with.

18. Sparkielev

Nonce !!!!!