Shower room leaking

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by RCK77, Aug 14, 2018.

1. RCK77

RCK77 New Member

Morning all,

My new downstairs shower room is leaking water into my living room (see pics of damp concrete floor). To fix this the builder (one of his team) applied sealant to the walls and perimeter of the shower room. My builder has been away for weeks (shortly to return). It was supposed to have a shower tray but the one I saw in screwfix had a funny trap size (bad comments on reviews) and I was worried I would buy the wrong one and it would delay. I had already bought floor tiles which he knew because I asked him to confirm room size (the wetroom upstairs will have the same tiles). Anyway he did the tiles instead but nothing was put between the concrete floor and the tile boards (no tape). I think sealant is a temporary fix, not the right solution. Can anyone advise whether sealant actually is the answer and how I can seal it without ripping the tiles up and tanking? If I do have to tank it how high up should I do it? I am now worried about the upstairs wetroom they are doing (they have bought tape and a tile rite waterproof sheeting). I can't see any reviews for tile rite as it is trade only but any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

What you have is, in effect, a wetroom. Therefore, your entire shower enclosure should have been tanked with a wetroom tanking kit after the shower trap was installed and before the tiles were laid.
    At least two (preferably 3) coats of tanking slurry should have been applied to the floor and walls, with tanking membrane covering all corners with overlaps of at least 20mm (I always use 50mm).
    Failure to do it properly WILL cause you problems far out into the future, no matter how much silicone is applied.
    Don't pay your builder until the entire thing has been done correctly.
    There are literally hundreds of videos on YouTube showing how this should have been done.

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I see pink plasterboard in your photos. I hope they were only used in the kitchen and not also used in the shower enclosure.
    If plasterboard was used in the shower enclosure, it should have been the green boards. Ideally they should have used tiling board, but green boards with the appropriate tanking could be OK.

4. RCK77

RCK77 New Member

Thanks so much. They used tiling board for the inside but nothing of the structure but nothing between that and the cement floor. Really appreciate your responses.