Washing machine plumbing

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by furious_customer, Aug 10, 2018.

1. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Great advice, thanks everyone.

2. furious_customer

This is what I have so far. Other than the standpipe being too high (I will cut this down) is this ok?

Or does the trap need to be closer to the floor level?

Attached Files:

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Bear in mind that the whole assembly should be able to fit under a kitchen worktop; so the top of the waste entry point should be about 750mm above floor level at the most (to allow the washing machine's outlet pipe to make its inverted U into the top of it).

Heat likes this.
  4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I would drop the trap down to near floor level with just enough room under (40mm) to remove it if required

5. furious_customer

The only problem with that is the 'nut'' of the compression joint wont slide all the way down as the pipe is clipped pretty close to the wall. I would need to swap it out for a solvent-weld elbow to get down much further - which I can do if it would be better?

6. rogerk101

Don't go to the trouble and expense of converting to weld (unless you already have the coupling and the welding paste, and can return the compression).
    Just loosen the clip at ground level and there should be more than enough flexibility and give in the pipe coming up through the floor to tighten the compression ring at a lower level.

furious_customer likes this.
  7. furious_customer

My other problem is that the tumble-dryer is going to the right of this pipe-work and the washing machine is going to the left of it.
    But ideally I would have the 2 machines as close togther as possible, so not sure if there is any trick to minimise the wall width that this assembly is consuming?

8. furious_customer

The only thing that makes me nervous about that is that the pipe runs straight into a boss on a 4" soil pipe about 6" below the floor.
    I don't want to disturb the pipe too much because I have already had a very expensive leak from the soil pipe.

9. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

If that section is solvent weld as it should be then there wont be a problem.

Heat and furious_customer like this.
  10. furious_customer

Great - I will do that then.

11. rogerk101

FWIW, I have a washing machine and a dishwasher sitting side by side, both dispensing into the same trap in a holiday rental home, and it has been that way for about 20 years now. I just T'ed an additional vertical pipe off the main vertical pipe of the washing machine trap, and shoved the dishwasher outlet into that. I have never had to dismantle the trap to clear a blockage.

12. furious_customer

Great - thanks!
    With the current pipe arrangement, the 2 machines will be abiout 40cm apart. I would like to get them as close as possible.
    Was wondering if I could rotate the horizontal section so that it is an 90 degrees to the wall and then twist the U section so that it brings the standpipe back to the wall?

13. Pollowick

Can you not run a horizontal section along at floor level and then bring the pipe up inside the back of a cupboard or towel space? That way you can get them butting up.

14. furious_customer

The problem is that my washing machine is quite big and bulky - it says 60cm in the dimensions on the manual, but in reality it is more lime 65cm deep.

15. rogerk101

Most washing machines have a shallow hollow on the bottom at the back specifically to allow space for pipes.

16. Pollowick

What brand is it?

Some can pump up to 5m in 20mm bore hose. If so, you can site the connection and trap away from it, then get both machines fully adjacent and back to the wall.

17. furious_customer

It's a hotpoint aqualtis 11kg drum. I don't think it has any relief in the back for pipes - one of the reasons we are moving it from the kitchen is that it won't sit properly under a 600mm worktop.

18. Pollowick

According to the instructions http://imagebank.indesitcompany.co....otpoint/Laundry/AQ113D697E_19509240501_GB.pdf you can extend the hose by up to 150 cm which would allow you to put the standpipe off to one side.

19. rogerk101

Wow - 11kg!
    I thought our latest one was hefty at 7kg.
    Only a couple of years ago, nearly all washing machines were 5kg.