Hearth stone vs concrete....

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by James V, Aug 14, 2018.

1. James V

James V Member

5D18C1A0-D1DD-4482-8240-B64249621A20.jpeg C5FC2C40-CC7D-47F2-867F-3D68DDC2258B.jpeg hi

I’m in the process of having a log burner installed (by a HETAS fitter) but I’m doing the dirty manual bits before he comes in. I’d appreciate the community’s advice on what to do with the hearth stone. I want to replace the existing composite oblong piece that was there for my previous gas fire with some slate. As I see it, there are two options, the first much easier and cheaper:

1. Get a piece of slate the exact same size as the current composite material and slot it in; butting it up to the fireplace opening concrete. Paint the concrete to roughly match the slate.

2. Chip out all of the concrete in the fireplace opening to floor level, and then get a ‘T’ shaped hearth stone measured and fitted. I’m assuming that the concrete in the fireplace opening will have been poured on top of the foundation concrete so will at least chip away to reveal a level ‘T’?

Any advice welcomed and will be followed!

Cheers

James

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Paving slabs,concrete,slate,etc ,wide choice of colour,thicknesses & sizes, easy to bed & level on mortar.

[​IMG]

3. James V

James V Member

I hadn’t thought of slabs. Any thoughts on the likely difficulty removing the existing mortar bed that was under the gas fire? (It looks more like a mortar mix than concrete)

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Difficult looking at a photo & being there to look at it.

Carefully have a nibble at it with a cold chisel & club hammer,unless you have a sds breaker, just might come up easily.:)

James V likes this.
  5. James V

James V Member

I’ve got the concrete / screed up, so now have a level slab to work from. I’m thinking that some paving stone I’ve seen would work well. Given I’m putting it in as a hearth indoors, would using tile adhesive and tile grout be uk? I’ll need to get someone to cut the stone for me.. angle grinder best for this?

Cheers!

James

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Angle grinder is perfect, would lay paving on a full mortar bed, mix 6 to 1.

James V likes this.
  7. James V

James V Member

Have got some 30mm thick stone slabs coming tomorrow. Just wondering if a stone cutting blade in my circular saw would get through this more evenly and easily than an angle grinder?

I’m also wondering how to ‘grout’ in between the stones using the mortar mix. I’m going to add some black concrete dye powder to the mix. Is it possible to get empty cartridges for sealant guns and pipe in between the stones with that; or do I just trowel in the mix and level off? I’m guessing it’s pointless putting the dye in the mix for the mortar bed, and I can mix a separate batch for doing the cracks and surround afterwards.

Finally - any suggestion as to the right gap size to leave between stones? I don’t want the mortar between the stones cracking due to heat, but as the log burner I’ve chosen has legs I’m hoping this will help to mitigate against that

Cheers!

James

8. James V

James V Member

...That said, just been reading this and wondering about butt joints for the ‘internal’ joints where the 3 pieces of stone meet, and a black heatproof sealant as an alternative to dyed mortar around the perimeter. Or better to leave a gap between each stone to allow for expansion? If so, what do I fill them with?

http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag1.htm

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Angle grinder is the best tool.

Gap between slabs what looks best, 10mm is my usual width, heat is unlikely to affect the slabs or joints.

With dye you want to be careful, as some can stain,especially when when pointing,not too sure about black,but other colours like red stain.

Could use a pointing/mortar gun,never used one, so no experience of them.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-brick-mortar-gun/67965

Competitor does a spares kit for above item.