Duropal - Any Good

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by mackie, Aug 14, 2018.

1. mackie

mackie Member

Hi, Replacing our kitchen and we have come to the bit where we need to decide on the worktop. We have the following runs to cover:

4726mm @ 600 wide reducing to 1026mm & 450 wide (Page 4 attached)
    930mm wide @ 600mm (Single unit in corner page 3 attached).

First quote is for standard chipboard Laminate but I personally do not like this and would like Quartz. But then again I would like to win the lottery and give up work for the rest of my life but I dont think that will happen.

A local company refers to a product called Duropal on their website. So the normal questions for you, has anyone used / got this and is it any good. Is it expensive etc etc.

Or is there something else that I could use instead?

Thanks in advance, I'm off now to buy a Lottery Ticket.

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

mackie likes this.
  3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I have had Duropal worktops from: https://www.cotops.ltd.uk/duropal-worktops excellent quality and durability.

If you buy your kitchen from Magnet, just get teh tops from Co Tops - that is what a lot of kitchen suppliers will do and you will cut out their mark up.

KIAB and mackie like this.
  4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Chipboard Laminate is exactly what Duropal worktops are anyway, Duropal are just more expensive than most, heavier and have more rubbish mixed in the core (metal, stones and even concrete). As a fitter i never look forward to machining joints in Duropal because i know before i start it will kill my router cutter after 1 joint.
    Have a look at Bushboard tops OP. A much larger selection of colours and finishes and the core of all Bushboard tops are "Virgin Chipboard", not recycled and full of ****.

WillyEckerslike and barbaricduck like this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What about Maia or Encore worktops then.

6. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Maia and Encore are Acrylic covered tops Kiab, not Laminate. The OP would like Quartz, but has yet to win the lottery :D

Encore of course is made by Bushboard, fitted enough of it over the years.............nice virgin chipboard core.

7. mackie

mackie Member

Ok, dumb question maybe but which is better, Acrylic or Laminate. Also we see that there is now 'Compact Laminate' - (Evolve from Bushboard). Is this any good / expensive.

We are open to suggestions

8. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

In the long run, Acrylic is better. Thing is though, what is the long run for you and how much are you prepared to spend on the worktops ? If you are only going to be in your house for a few years, normal laminate worktops are the cheapest option. Evolve is not a bad product at all, not fitted any of it yet so can't give any personal experience. As a personal thought on it though, i just can't see a worktop 12.5mm thick looking right in most kitchens. Also 12.5mm tops pose loads of problems and issues when it comes to hobs and anything inset into them other than underslung sinks.

9. LEH

LEH Active Member

I always heard Duropal were one of the best, they have that drip catching profile and good quality laminates. Agree though that bushboard seem to have a lot more choice and up to date styles.

10. barbaricduck

barbaricduck Active Member

I would not like to fit Duropal again after my last experience with it. Customer got two tops along with their DIYKitchens kitchen. I found the melamine coating to be really brittle and it kept chipping when being cut. Tried brand spanking new cutter in the router and changed circsaw blade for a brand new un and still it would chip away. These tops were not being mitred (I usually use a brand new cutter for mitres), but were two straight runs. I have never had a worktop cut/chip so badly in 10 years. The last couple of kitchens I did were both Howdens tops. Get a lovely clean cut in them even with a slightly used circsaw blade.

After my experience with Duropal I am very reluctant to touch them again. I don't know if they had a bad batch with not enough plasticiser in the melamine mix. No idea.

kitfit1 likes this.
  11. barbaricduck

barbaricduck Active Member

Never seen that Evolve stuff until just now. Not sure if it could be good or not. Lot easier to carry but wouldn't want to try and zipbolt one!

o_O

12. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Your right. I've been fitting kitchens for over 30 years and Duropal tops have always been the same. Not even any point trying to cut from the postform across the top with a Festool and track............it chips even with a brand new blade and then makes that blade as blunt as a blunt thing because of all the rubbish they put into the core. It wasn't a bad batch you had, they are all like that and always have been.

barbaricduck likes this.
  13. mackie

mackie Member

Then I will steer clear of Duropal then.

14. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Hi Kitfit - that's good to know - cheers.

15. LEH

LEH Active Member

So the conclusion is Bushboard are the best in the way of laminate tops?