What Size Generator for Small Workshop?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by DraigTimber, Aug 15, 2018.

1. DraigTimber

DraigTimber New Member

Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction about getting a generator to run some tools in a small workshop?

Space is running out in my shed, which is quite big, and fed up of having to move things around in there to get at stuff. I have space available on a family farm in one of the barns, however, there is no electricity in the barn and it is to far to run an extension cable to it.

Any advice on what size generator would be sufficient to run some power tools?

Tools that I would be using would be circular saw, jigsaw, router, small table saw, sander, grinder, kettle! etc. Obviously they wouldn't be run at the same time, but would like a generator that could run for a good few hours, especially on the weekends.

Any help or advice appreciated.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Budget?

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

On your list, the kettle is the hungriest for power, but it's still probably only around 2.5kW, and that for about 5 minutes at a time.
    As such, you would probably be OK with a 2.5kW generator. 3kW would be perfect.

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

How far is too far?

If you are only looking at 3 or maybe 4 kW then you will be much better off running a permanent feed in SWA.

With a generator you could be looking at 10 litres or more for a typical 6-8 hour day so £20-30 each weekend which over a year soon mounts up. Add in the cost of the generator and even 200m of 16mmm SWA soon costs in.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Spot on.

SWA would also be my first choice.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Not suggesting that is what is needed, just an example of how far you could run cable. Subject to appropriate routing, installation, rating, voltage drop ...

7. Gluggy

Gluggy Active Member

Not sure how practical / cost effective but how about a bank of batteries with an inverter? Could use a travel kettle at around 700w instead of a home one and solar panels to charge during the week - guess a small generator could also be used to charge the batteries as and when needed.

Of course as others have pointed out fixed mains would be better but having seen the size of a friend's farm I can see why distance and layout could make it tricky.