Bath seal

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by James V, Sep 18, 2018.

1. James V

James V Member

Hi

After a nightmare leaking ceiling problem due to a dodgy bath seal, I’ve removed the previous seal and applied a good quality silicone sealant. I’m thinking I’ll also add an edging strip for good measure. Should I:

1- use some grip bond stuff on the underside of the edging, then seal the edges of the edging strip with silicone, or

2- use another layer of silicone as a bonding agent on the underside of the edging strip

Thoughts appreciated!

Cheers

2. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Did you get the sili right in to the gaps? And did you then finish it off using a Fugi tool or similar?

These leave a really neat bevelled bead and you can make them quite sizeable if you want, so will provide an excellent seal. Also you'll be able to monitor the bead and notice if it lifts for any reason.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Grip the edge of the bath and give it a shake ...... any movement between bath edge / head / foot / and wall ?

If yes, sili seal will fail with time

Might not be the issue though ?

Allsorts likes this.
  4. James V

James V Member

I used my finger rather than a tool, but I’m sure the gaps are filled. I’m keen to use the edging strip too though, not least for the aesthetics

5. James V

James V Member

I’m sure it was the seal that failed; I had a strip on before and water was getting behind the vertical section of strip. I have 4 kids who splash lots

Properly filling the gap between bath and tiles with silicone, then topping with a sealed in edging will give more protection against splashing I think

6. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

A good quality sili applied to a thoroughly clean surface and finished off with a Fugi or similar will see you sorted. Stick-on strips can fail without you being aware.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You don't look old enough to have left school let alone have 4 kids :p

8. James V

James V Member

Yeah, that photos at least 10 yrs old! I’ve not aged well with these kids wrecking the house

chippie244 likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Blah blah blah but, you haven’t answered my question James ;)

Any movement between bath and wall ?

Also
    Always clean off all old silicon before applying new. New sili doesn’t stick that well to old. Use a silicon ‘eater’ to remove all traces - SF No Nonsense works really well

Then clean bath edge / tiles thoroughly, hot soapy water, rinse and dry

And yes, use quality sili

‘If’, and it’s an if at this stage, there is any movement, any seal will fail in time

Especially with 4 kids at bathtime :eek:

11. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

DIY dave, surprisingly sili will adhere to older sili quite well .(if cleaned.)
    And the best degreaser is Meths.(not white spirit)
    You haven't told the OP if he needs 'high' or 'low' modulus of elasticity silicone.
    Dow is always good.
    Rs

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I also don’t remember asking for your opinion on my post RS

Have a good day now

chippie244 likes this.
  13. retiredsparks

OP.

Silicone will adhere to older silicone quite well .(if cleaned.)
    Lots of rank amateurs don't realise this.
    The best degreaser is Meths. (not white spirit as used by amateurs)
    OP, you need to look at 'high' or 'low' modulus of elasticity silicone...and chose the one which appears to satisfy the requirements of your job.
    Find someone who knows about these more technical things and ignore blanket useless unhelpful statements.
    Dow is always good providing you chose the correct grade.
    Look on line for videos using tools for silicone bead finishing.
    Silicone seals will provide years of good service if the two adjoining substrates are fixed as firmly as possible.
    Look up Fugi kits.

RS

14. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

I'm surprised you have any Meths left over, RS.

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Who mentioned using white spirit ?
    Not me ....... where you got that from ?

Not removing old sili is a bodge job, end of

And as for movement between bath and wall, well I mentioned that in post 3

Do try and keep up RS

PS
    Before tiling on tiles, degrease old ones with meths, then stick new ones on with sili ——- not sure which one to recomended though

99P shops sell some quality diy gear ..... and for 99p as well :)

16. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Come ON! That's got to be worth a 'like' or two :oops:

chippie244 likes this.
  17. retiredsparks

My eyes are dim, I cannot see, I have not brought my specs with me...............(add the tune as you say it.):D
    They just don't get the idea do they.:rolleyes:
    What could be a simpler concept...pop tarts ?

I have blocked all the night walkers, nutters, ne'redowells, scrotes, imbeciles suffering from reverse peristalsis, the mentally challenged, the verbal diarrhea brigade, the left wing liberal snowflakes, the pork chops at a Jewish wedding, the recidivists, the banned using other names who are so pathetically desperate to say something......and Morris dancers....... and they still insist on commenting.:D
    RS

fillyboy likes this.
  18. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Do you find Brian Regan (never heard of him) funny, RS?

I got to 44 seconds. And most of that was because I kept missing the pause button in my haste to shut out the banality.

Don't answer the question RS - I've just realised the answer.

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Needy :)

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Deary, Deary me, And filly liked this o_O