Advise on Patio/drainage

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Ben48, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Ben48

Ben48 Member

Hi I am planning on doing a 20 meter x 8 meter Patio Slabs in my back garden.

Here is my proposed plan :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    or try here
    https://imgur.com/a/ZItSn7n

The patio slabs will be angled so that the rain water will run away from the house and the fence.

1) Please advise how I can best set up the channel drainage , if I require 1 or 2 channel drainage's
    and are the locations suitable ?

2) Does the channel drainage have to be the complete width of garden (8 metres)
    to collect the excess rain water ?

3) I have no man cover access, which channel drainage would be best to connect to ?
    (gutter,kitchen,bathroom drain) ?

thanks

2. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Your drawing is confusing me, it looks as if its both looking from above and from the side. ???

The slabs & drains look from above.

The door/step & fence look from the side.

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Unless you live in the wettest part of the country, your design is a complete overkill.
    I have a large patio area covered in paving slabs, and have no 'additional' drainage at all, and I have never had a problem even when the whole of the rest of Oxfordshire is under water.
    All you need to do is lay a good 200mm of hardcore, whack it down to a good, sound level surface, and then lay the paving slabs on a weak mortar mix. Then brush an even weaker (1:8) mix of dry sand and cement. Use a broom to sweep the slabs clean, leaving the gaps filled with the dry 'mortar'. Over time, the 'dry' mortar will absorb enough moisture/rain to set, but it will set in a porous way, which allows any water that falls on the top of the slabs to soak through and into the hardcore underneath. Oxfordshire is not known as a wet county, but we still do get floods here, and even in the heaviest rain storms that go on for day's I've never seen water accumulating on the surface of my paving. It's all about letting the water through as naturally as possible, without channelling into man made contraptions which will always be prone to clogging.

Ben48 likes this.
  4. Ben48

Ben48 Member

Sorry its a side view but kinda imagine the channel drainage and drains are on top, so the patio slabs are slopped towards the center.

5. Ben48

Ben48 Member

Thanks, am still trying to figure and plan the garden patio out so it still new to me.

My main concern was if my patio slabs are running in a slope away from the house towards the middle of garden that rain water will pool up there, I see other neighbors have done similar and used a drain channel almost in center of garden to safely absorb rain water to prevent pooling, I just figured this was sound practice.

But you feel I do not require any channel drainage and the slabs will absorb the water in between the weak mortar?

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I would also question your intention to drain the patio into your main foul drain. Is that acceptable to your local water authority? Potentially not.

If you want to get rid of the water then build in a soak-away.

masterdiy likes this.
  7. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Pw, if building in a soak away, how far from the house would he need to do that, without affecting the footing etc.

8. Pollowick

Don't know the answer and it will depend on many things. One of my neighbours had to have one when he paved his drive - that is around about 6 or 7 m from the house and is actually under the drive. I am fortunate in not needing one - I have a river that all my rainwater flows directly into.

9. Ben48

Ben48 Member

Can the drainage channel not be directly connected to the gutter water drain that I have ?

10. Pollowick

Depends on what that connects to and local regulations.

Ben48 likes this.
  11. Ben48

Ben48 Member

Sounds like its easier to not even have the drainage channel, more so if it naturally evaporates in-between the slabs.

I was looking into using a patio sealer to stop weed/moss and ant issues in-between the patio slabs but that apparently blocks rain water and dirt also, that is why I was looking into drainage channel.

12. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Yes as its surface water.

Ben48 likes this.
  13. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Normally a minimum 5 metres.

14. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

All the info you need is on www.pavingexpert.com. It's a brilliant site for this kind of stuff!

Good luck.

Cando

Ben48 likes this.
  15. Ben48

Ben48 Member

Thanks, its an option at least even if perhaps not required, I just like the idea of dirt and rainwater going the
    way of outside the garden.