Help! Stud wall in new kitchen.

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Danielle93, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Longboat's suggestion may be the best so far. Nothing will hide it 100% but that should get you close.

longboat likes this.
  2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Yep, i'd go along with this as well. I don't think i would use wet and dry though. Past experience of getting scratches out of laminate tops tells me that Purple Scotch Bright along with a bit of WD40 is the way to go. It has very little effect on the sheen and texture of the good laminate around a scratch, so should have the same result around the dink.

longboat likes this.
  3. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

I have some old bits of worktop I can practice on!

4. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

That's a good plan, kitfit. I've had good results with fine grade wet and dry (2400 grade) in the past, but there's an even better product that's widely available now which is 'melamine foam'. Never tried it on this type of work, but God, it's fantastic on everything else.
    Give it a go, Danielle, should be perfect.

5. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

I think I did a pretty decent job! That's just paint. I have tried some yacht varnish on top to smooth it out but it won't dry? Jist stays tacky, dont know if its because it mixes slightly with the paint. Screenshot_20180919-214043.png Is there anything better anyone could suggest?

Allsorts likes this.
  6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Yacht varnish takes hours to dry.

7. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

No matter how good the repair, you will always see because you know it's there and you're looking for, I doubt anyone else will spot that.

Allsorts likes this.
  8. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

It was left for 48 hours and had barely changed!

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Rub it off with acetone and try again.

10. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Thanks, I just need any ideas on how to seal it, the varnish I have doesn't seem to be drying hard enough to sand down. It's just acrylic paint at the moment which will wipe straight off as soon as I clean the worktop

11. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

I managed to just rub it off. The picture is how it is now. Just paint with nothing sealing it.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Have you tried colorfill?

13. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Does this come clear? I thought these were the same colour as your worktop?
    I don't need an alternative way of fixing dint. The acrylic paint suggested has worked fine. I just need a way of coating the paint so it doesn't wipe straight off.

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Seal it with clear nail varnish...........................very quick drying and reasonably hard once dry.

Danielle93, fillyboy and chippie244 like this.
  15. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

Probably due to oil based yacht varnish on top of recent water based acrylic?

Danielle93 likes this.
  16. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

That's paint?! So you matched the grain?! That's pretty cool.

Do you have any water-based varnish? That's easier to handle - you can wipe excess away with a damp cloth for example - and is also very durable. Ronseal 'Diamond Hard' in satin for example.

17. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Yep just a set of acrylics I got for £3! I'll have a look at varnish tonight, need some satin for other work I'm doing anyway.

Allsorts likes this.
  18. Pollowick

I use Diamond Hard quite a lot - shelves, floors, table top ... excellent product and one trick they told me was to actually have a wet brush to apply it with and it can be re-coated after just a short while so building up layers is a reasonably quick process.

Danielle93 and Allsorts like this.
  19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

As with any other water based paint always wet the brush or roller prior to use.

20. Pollowick

Not just that, but with the varnish, I was advised to keep wetting the brush to get a smooth brushmark free finish.