old council style hinges - damsel in distress!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by emmafaye, Feb 13, 2005.

1. emmafaye

emmafaye New Member

hi all,

I am looking for a supplier of new 'old style' hinges for large four panelled doors, the kind you see in old council houses circa 1940s+.

I have a couple from when I took the doors off to be dipped, but as I am renovating I would like to newly decorated doors to go back on with new clean brass hinges.

I have searched everywhere I can think of, and whilst some of the hinges currently stocked in stores would fit, they are not thick or heavy enough.

The markings on the ones I have say 'CROSS' '3in' and '200' on them. They are very old and very heavy albeit very small, (almost like a 60-70ml hinge you would see in shops now)

The reason I am looking for hinges of this size and of the exact measurements is because I would like to stick to the original features, door frame etc, and as I am a girly, I do not want to be messing about with having to put bigger holes into the doors etc,(which I can envisage would be disastrous!)

If anyone has any ideas...however small, please let me know...Thanks for reading x

2. Chippy John

Chippy John New Member

The hinges that you've taken off sound like cast iron ones rather than brass.

Give us a clue where you are and it may be easier to point you in the right direction for a supplier.

If you're in London I'd say try Frank Romany's in Camden Town, (or Comyn Ching [St.Martins Lane] if they're still around,) but any decent architectural ironmongers should be able to help.

Builders merchants are a waste of time, unless they are going to sell 100s per week they won't stock it.

3. Chippy John

Chippy John New Member

4. Industry Insider

Industry Insider New Member

Hi,
    Have a look at www.isaaclord.co.uk they have hundreds of different hinge types.

II.

5. emmafaye

emmafaye New Member

Thanks to you all for replying.

Have checked out the sites you gave me and I found them on one of them..perfect!

If I have any more queries, ill be back!

Emma x