Illegal soil and vent stack?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by legit, Feb 13, 2005.

1. legit

legit New Member

I've just had my house replumbed at great expense but am in dispute with the plumber over the bathroom plumbing. Basically the bath, basin and toilet all send waste out to the soil and vent which is different to my old house where bath and basin sent their waste down the rainwater pipe.

My concern is that flushing the toilet or some other as yet unknown event will cause the seals in the traps to be vacuumed out with obvious unpleasant consequences.

To give more detail, the bath goes directly into the stack at about the same height as and adjacent to where the toilet waste goes in. In fact the toilet waste travels horizontally across the outside wall for about three or four feet (slight slope). It's into this horizontal waste pipe that the basin waste drops into, rather than directly into the stack.

So is this illegal or even imorral?

2. jmcbuilders

jmcbuilders New Member

Stop worrying this sounds totally normal. The vent in the stack stops the traps emptying. Give your plumber some respect. Or am I reading it wrong. On all new build this is how it is done. Also you are not alowed to put foul waste into the storm Any more. JMc

3. legit

legit New Member

This isn't a whim of mine - basically another plumber raised the possibility that this fix wasn't 'correct', so I'm posting here in search of a tie-breaker. I know that it's perfectly ok to put the bath and basin wastes directly into the stack, but in this case the basin waste actually goes into the toilet waste before it even reaches the stack.

If you imagine yourself standing facing the bathroom wall the toilet is on the left the basin is in the middle and the bath is on the right and the stack is also on the right.

So the toilet waste comes out the wall on the left and starts heading right towards the stack. Halfway there you can see the basin waste come out the wall and drop onto it. The toilet waste then completes the journey all the way to the stack.

Hope this is clearer...

4. MR MISTERY !

MR MISTERY ! New Member

Hi Legit,
    Your worries and information from 2nd Plumber is unfounded.
    The Regulation states, 'No fitting, (additional fitting) must be connected within 8" (below)the center line of a soil connection, unless it is a waste pipe manifold, (which incidentally sits at or within the floor level below such a soil branch). This very rule is imposed to STOP and PREVENT syphonic action occurring.
    So neither you or your 2nd Plumber have a case against your 1st Plumber. What he has done is discharged the basin waste above the center line of the soil pipe and has conformed to rules and regulations.
    I think you should concede , before Litigation cost's you an arm and a Leg.

5. legit

legit New Member

Mr Mistery,

Thankfully the dispute isn't bad tempered or litigous, I'm just at the fact finding stage (in other words before I go wading in there). I am grateful for your response but have to admit I'm having a hard time understanding the wording. The regulation you've quoted says nothing of the connection leading up to the stack, only of the connection on the stack itself.

But as I said I am having difficulty reading the wording.

So surely its down to the physics of an ordinary (100mm??) pipe that as the contents whoosh past a connected 32mm pipe the water gets sucked out of it.

And all that before the stack is even reached.

6. jmcbuilders

jmcbuilders New Member

Dose it empty the trap ?. If it dose then fit an ani vac trap. If it don't leave it. JMc

7. jmcbuilders

jmcbuilders New Member

Also you can get pan connectors that have a boss on top that dose this. It fits on the back of the pan. Alternative phone BCO and ask advice he might even call out. JMc

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

In reality, you will probably never have a fully
    filled 4" run, so will not get the syphon effect.
    The part of the run just before the stack would have
    to be completely full on it's course, to draw the water from the traps, so unlikely. Now, if your basin waste were
    fitted into the pipe at the beginning of the run, there might be a higher chance of syphoning. All seems normal to me. Not an expert, just a realist.

Handyandy - really

9. MR MISTERY !

MR MISTERY ! New Member

Sorry legit,
    I hadn't realized you were a Rocket scientist.
    Perhaps your in the wrong forum.
    Try astrophysicists on page, 948475464575950439336535373839376363399393767475bc or
    7807806290696129651607034929587AD, Or just accept, we don't normaly run anything but rainwater down rainwater pipes any longer, and there is nothing wrong with the way the Plumber has fitted your waste pipes, and Pay him.

10. doitall

doitall New Member

Sorry legit,
    I hadn't realized you were a Rocket scientist.
    Perhaps your in the wrong forum.
    Try astrophysicists on page,
    948475464575950439336535373839376363399393767475bc
    or
    7807806290696129651607034929587AD, Or just accept, we
    don't normaly run anything but rainwater down
    rainwater pipes any longer, and there is nothing
    wrong with the way the Plumber has fitted your waste
    pipes, and Pay him.

Was that part H or J Mr Mistery :(

The things some people do to get a few quid knocked off the bill

11. MR MISTERY !

MR MISTERY ! New Member

Hey doitall,
    Part freaking 'ZONK PRATT' I think it should be for this guy.
    I bet he's got a woman for a boss, or his Dad & he's 104. :)

12. legit

legit New Member

Rocket scientist? Damn, I suppose that's what I get when for mentioning the word 'physics' in a post :) Anyway just for the record the plumber has already been payed ... 2 and a half big ones ... so as I said this is just a fact finding mission.

I am limited to just the bottle trap that was supplied with the bathroom furniture as its the only one that will fit (word of warning: the range is called White Mist from Homebase, and although it looks quite nice and is superb value for money, installation is the very devil).

So thanks gents for letting me know there is nothing illegal going on here and when I get the trap set up today I will try 20 flushes just to be sure. If the seal goes, well I reckon I'll have ago at tapping into the stack myself.

Will let you know how my experiment goes!

13. legit

legit New Member

Seal held fine, will leave well alone.

Thanks again.

14. MR MISTERY !

MR MISTERY ! New Member

Thank gawd for that, I thought we were in for a scrap.