Fake trend router bits?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dvddvd, Oct 11, 2018.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

i bought some Trend router cutters from eBay and they looked ok?

They are 1/2 chamfer ones and I was putting a 5mm 45 degree chamfer on some MDF and it don't seem to cut it that easy, I'm cutting the 5mm 45 degree in one pass and it don't look even as if it's struggling, one bit is 5mm and by the time I get to the end it's 3.5mm ?

There's no flex in the router table and it's a decent table and fence, all I can think is the cutter is blunt or ****. So I was wondering is there fake cutters out there with the word Trend stamped onto them ? They were 1/2 the price of the same else where?

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Is it pin/bearing guided? If so, are you moving away from teh cutter? Or is it moving in te collett?

Have you a metric shank/shaft? 6mm rather than 1/4" (6.35mm) or 12mm instead of 1/2" ?

3. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Three months ago I picked up a trend circ saw blade from Howdens, after one oak door I binned it and went back to Freud. I've not tried the router bits, I normally get the cheapo ones from Howdens and bin the after 2 or 3 mitre joints.

CGN likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got no time for Trend, they had quailty problems with some of their router cutters a few years ago,as for saw blades, it has to be Freud & nothing else.

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

if the cutter has a bearing then use that
    if the fence or wood is not perfectly strait and lined up where you apply the push and pressure will dictate the path all the timber follows
    think off a banana if you where to push on the front 1/3 all the way along the fence

6. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

It's table saw cut MDF so should be, I'll try using just the bearing on the cutter without the fence so if there is any non straightness on the MDF it should just roll over instead of following the fence....thanks for that

7. big all

big all Screwfix Select

you will have to adjust the cutter depth to get the same chamfer
    as in iff the wood is running along the fence but 2mm from the bearing now assuming 45 degree angle will need to be dropped probably 2mm to give the same cut

8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

In defence of trend, I've been using their mainly pro, a few craft pro, very hard recently, and they have stood up really well - no complaints at all.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got very few Trend router cutters, most of mine are Whiteside,Wealden & a few from Rutlands.

AlvyChippy likes this.
  10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

All Wealden here, never have had a problem. :)

11. big all

big all Screwfix Select

wealdon
    rurlands toledo
    and axminster exaliber here

12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Boring :D

13. big all

big all Screwfix Select

a statement about yourself or the thread in general??;)

KIAB, CGN and Astramax like this.
  14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

About wood cutters...they're 'boring'!

15. big all

big all Screwfix Select

aaahhh far too subtle :D:D

CGN likes this.