Drill Stands

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Mark 4, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Mark 4

Mark 4 New Member

I'm curious to know a couple of things...how often do people use drills in after market "Drill Stands" and what length of collet/neck on the drill is usually required? is there a DIN standard for both Diameter (43mm) & Length??? I'd like peoples opinions...

Cheers.

2. britishblue

britishblue New Member

The length is never a problem, as that is where the adjustable handle clamps to the drill. If the handle can clamp it, so can the drill stand. Diameter is important, but the drill stand spec. will tell you what daimeter it fits.

I bought a drill stand, and rarely use it. However, when you want to guarantee that drill is at 90 degrees to the surface you are drilling it is invaluable.

BB

3. Industry Insider

Industry Insider New Member

Hi Mark#4,
    The industry standard, as you suggest, is 43mm diameter; as far as I can tell you there is no length standard. Rather than a DIN standard, I think you will find that 43mm developed out of compatability with the original manufacturers specification. I would suggest that Black & Decker started it all with their drill attachments, years ago, which made your drill into a circular saw, Jigsaw and even a hedgetrimmer.

Sounds to me that you may have your own reasons for asking this question, are you designing a new accessory!

II.

4. Mark 4

Mark 4 New Member

Thanks for that input, I've been thinking about buying a Drill Stand but noticed that my drill has a short neck-length i.e. 18mm so was worried about the average clamp not actually fitting.

5. Mark 4

Mark 4 New Member

Thanks II, I did some more digging, aparently it complies to DIN 44715, 43mm diameter by 25mm long minimum with a 1x 45 degree chamfer on the edge. I was concerned that a collar length of 18mm wouldn't fit it some stand clamps. Guess I'll have to try it to be sure.

6. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

7. sidewall

sidewall New Member

I agree with DWD. Although a stand is a good compromise if you really have not got the extra space for a stand alone machine, it can be a pain in the **** messing about mounting it every time you want to use it instead of just offering the piece of work up to the ready to go drill. I have a stand myself but will be buying a pillar drill soon for the reason above and the stability issue that arises when using a stand (unless you have even more time on your hands to mount it on something of course)

8. Dewy

Dewy New Member

I used one of the old B&D claw and bolt drill stands for many years.
    When I bought one of the 43mm collar drills and stands I soon found it useless.
    Apart from friction by tightening the collar round the drill there was nothing to hold it firmly in place.
    The vibration of the drill soon lifted it out of the collar.
    I dumped it in favour of a bench pillar drill.