impact screwdriver

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by retiredsparks, Nov 1, 2018.

1. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Guys
    Have a Lidl driver which has just packed in after 3 months and about 40 screws !!
    Going back.

Looking for a impact driver at sensible price for mainly DIY work now as retired and my trusty 10.8 volt Hitachi is about to give up I suspect (after at least 11 years).
    Needs to be as light as possible.(damaged wrist )
    Any recommendations, bearing in mind the above.
    cheers
    RS

gpierce likes this.
  2. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

Although I don't own one, I've used the 10.8v Bosch Blue impact driver and the drill from the same range too. I was comparing it to my 18v Brushless DeWalt I had at the time. Obviously the DeWalt had more power overall, but I was incredibly impressed by the Bosch, when I get to the point I can afford duplicates of some tools just because I want them I'll be getting that. Not as cheap as the Lidl stuff obviously but I think my father in law got his from RS and I *think* it was around £80 for the gun, charger and a single batt. If I remember correctly it's about the shortest impact driver on the market, and didn't weigh too much. Batteries were only 1.3ah, which were nice and light, and it didn't need charging as much as I assumed it would.

I'm actually surprised the Lidl one let you down, for the price they charge their tools are normally better than that, I've given my Lidl SDS drill a tough life but I just can't seem to kill it, outlasted some name brand ones I've had, so if that was your first Parkside tool, as much as it goes against all common sense I wouldn't write them off entirely as a tool brand.

3. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

The Dewalt 10.8v range is the absolute business. Superb for the ahem older user.

Very reasonably priced too.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

6. That is used,not new.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I was going to recommend the 10.8V Makita but RS won't listen to me.

KIAB likes this.
  8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

By used they mean it's a return not that it's been on site for a year.

KIAB likes this.
  9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Not really used or second hand.

A lot of these aren't used. They are returns from Amazon where it may have not been used or the package may have a scratch. I have bought a lot from Amazon Wharehouse even a Festool 2200 router at £200 below the cheapest deal because there was a mark on the box. Same with a set of Festool dominos, the systainer hinge pin was missing and £1.49 to replace

KIAB and gpierce like this.
  10. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

Note to self: Buy a Festool router from Amazon, scratch the box, and wait for it to show up on Warehouse Deals for £200 less.....

Oh common I can't be the only one thinking that!

KIAB and Need a bigger hammer like this.
  11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Returns are great if you can wait for a good deal.

KIAB likes this.
  12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Some don't even have marks on them. Last week I got a DeWalt DryWall gun with two 5 ah batteries for £240, The cheapest at the time had a 2 ah for £40 more and I can't see what was wrong with it and still have a full 3 year warranty from DeWalt.

KIAB likes this.
  13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Bosch also have a returns / clearance site where you can buy direct from them

14. Did not read all the info only seen used,what about the guarantee with these items,is it still valid?

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Yes, all the mail order companies have a version of this and there are bargains to be had, I've bought 2 Chromebooks for a 100 each.

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

On the DeWalt and Festool full manufacturers 3 year warranty

17. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Thanks guys....will give it all some serious looking at.
    i will need it to be robust enough to screw floorboards down, large screws into masonry and rawlplugs etc.
    Just trying to get a good balance with price, reliability and performance.
    Rs

18. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Not much use if you are working on site,but when I overlaid my wooden floors with ply before they were tiled, I bought a small Makita 240v impact driver. It's a lovely light little tool & delivers about 100Nm torque. It cost about £75 & I found it well worth the money.

19. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

I have had a Silverline Silverstorm impact driver and drill set in a moulded plastic hardcase with 2x 10.8v rechargeable batteries from amazon warehouse deal for 50 quid delivered, and they are still going strong after 6 years use.

With them, I repaired the old shed door, put in a kitchen sink unit floor, fixed wardrobes, desks and chairs, and kitchen draws, put on security lights and made workbench, fence panels .... etc etc. A great drill & driver set.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  20. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018