Language English, Welsh or Gaelic but German?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by MGW, Nov 16, 2018.

1. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I wanted a rear lamp for my push bike, after fitting a rear rack needed lights on rack not under seat where items on rack could obscure them, although more likely obscured by my coat.

I have loads of lamps bought through the years, but non were suitable to mount on the cycle rack, the panniers or items on the rack or even my coat were likely to obscure the standard rear cycle lamp from view.

So off I went to local cycle shop, first lamp it seemed needed connecting to a dynamo, think they went out in 1940's? I have hub and rub on tyre generators but they are all AC so alternators not dynamos, and clearly LED lights need DC. Second set were USB rechargeable with no BS or BS EN number visible.

All instructions in German, I can read 0.3W but no idea if this is 0.3W each of the two LED's or both LED's the former would comply, the latter would not. To be fair they seem bright, so likely comply, and do have the 4 candelas required, think that is about 48 lumen.

However it seems with cycle rear lights it is the total rear lights on the cycle, not a single lamp, so it may say some where in that German instructions that I need a second lamp. It seems unlikely, but how do I know?

On fitting it clearly first attempt was upside down, and had to remove and refit as could not slide the lamp into the base, the lamp when put on charge showed a green light, and was drawing 0.04 amp, a little latter it went to 0.26 amp then dropped to 0.8 amp then zero and the green LED went off, however with no readable instructions not sure if this should happen.

XLC website does not help, well 300 mAh and 360 minutes should mean at 100 lumen per watt means likely 36 lumen output and legal minimum is 4 candela which is around 48 lumen so it would seem not enough?

Reading BS7671 I though instructions should be given in the official language/s of the county in which the item is sold? So since sold in Wales should be in English and Welsh although likely in Shotton English and Polish are the most spoken languages.

Taking it back is all very well, however there seems to be no alternative product. So not really an option.

2. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

I can't think of anything to say that will help you.

Not even in Ghaidhlig.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Don't fret the small stuff.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Unless the lights have a BSI code, your can't legally use them on the road.

The use of Welsh language is limited to mainly signage, government communication. With private firms and products there is no obligation to product sales, marketing or other display information in a set language unless it may injury or illness. Trago Mills in Merthyr caused an uproar when it refused to have bilingual store signage and although in receipt of funding from the Welsh Government there was little the authorities could do to persuade them otherwise

5. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

How many people speak welsh in Merthyr...most have difficulty with English.
    And should the name be SosBan ?
    ;)
    Rs

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Do you really think that the non-existant traffic police are going to be pulling cyclists over because their lights don't have a BSI code?

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Nope but it can become an aspect in the event of a traffic accident and then any attempt by the injured party to make a compensation claim.

JP. likes this.
  8. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Signage is strange in Southern Ireland.
    Even the roadworks signs are in Irish and then English in capital letters.
    Must be confusing to foreigners who can’t read/speak English much, to see two languages.
    Yet the everyday spoken language is English.

9. retiredsparks

Just for you Sospan

Rs

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

diolch yn fawr iawn

11. retiredsparks

croeso iawn
    RS

12. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I was not really wanting the instructions in Welsh, my Welsh is rather poor never really worked out how things like a saucepan has a sex, and why small is spelt different for a male and female. However there were six pages of writing in German to explain how to use a rear light, however there was very little it needed to tell the buyer, green light goes out when charged, will last 6 hours, has two 0.3W LED's has a 300 mW/h battery, will recharge in about 3 hours.

I could understand if made in Germany, but actually made in China.

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Lots of languages use masculine and feminiim.

14. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Including English, if you are in Devon.

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I thought "Hello my lover" was asexual

16. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Take the German instructions and type them into 'Google Translate' or find them on the web and cut and copy them into GT.

Heat likes this.
  17. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

That sounds like geordie

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Divent dunchus we Geordie man.