Please help.....

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Leanne lowe, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Leanne lowe

Leanne lowe New Member

First experience at anything like this.

My nan who is 74 years old has recently just had a new kitchen which was fitted brilliantly. She then searched round and settled on a plastering company. It's basicly gone all down hill from there. It's taken 2 plasterers (dad and son) 3 weeks to do 2 half walls. Every time my nan would ring they would make up an excuse (My baby is ******* teething) would be one reply. They would then not turn up as promised and avoid further phone calls. They finally turned up yesterday to finish the job and treated my nan like ****, swearing and husherd her out her own kitchen telling her to f off or there leaving. It's a bloke who owns the company and his son works for him the job is terrible and they've still not done under the radiator and missed around some plug sockets they then laughed and said you've just had a foreigner because my nan asked for papers and we now believe the son (who did the majority of the **** job) Isent qualified (or were led to believe his not). We don't want them finish the job or want any money back but I don't want them doing this to anyone else. My nan who as survived cancer and a stroke is in a mess. She begged them to stop swearing in her own home and they carried on. Disgusting human beings. Is there anything I can do? Would trading standards listen ? Police don't want to know and would I have a case if his son wasent qualified.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Call it quits and sack them, you've lost any money paid them and it isn't worth the stress trying to reclaim it.
    As far as I know there aren't any qualifications to be a plasterer, you can probably get a NVQ but not having one doesn't stop you being a spread.
    Lesson learnt and move on.

DIY womble likes this.
  3. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

I suspect this is nothing like what the true situation is.

If it were true, then the police would have acted.

But, if these 'plasterers' have failed to finish two half-walls in 3 weeks and what they have done is of poor quality, then they should not be allowed back in, and should not be paid a penny.

Jord86 and furious_customer like this.
  4. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

I agree - if the situation was as described then that is threatening, abusive and intimidating behaviour and the police would have taken it seriously.

5. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Not unless there is physical contact, just verbal isn't enough for the police to act regardless how bad it is.

6. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

If that is true - which it patently isn't - then it would only be down to the severe cutbacks to the police service caused by the diminished economy due to youknowwhat.

So - once again - well done you. :rolleyes:

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The police are too understaffed to do much

8. Need a bigger hammer

Need a bigger hammer Active Member

Police! What's that then? Rarer than hens teeth round here...

9. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

I think you'll find the police haven't been interested in this sort of thing a long time before your favourite subject.

It is a civil matter between you and them, (you hired them), for it to become criminal there has to be a crime and telling somebody to **** off isn't a crime worthy of police time and resources.

10. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Whatevs, IIR.

11. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Really - what if you walked into a bank and said "this is a stick up"?