Need a reasonable router recommendations please

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by APC, Dec 5, 2018.

1. big all

big all Screwfix Select

P600 yes had them for years :D average price imported 65-75 including delivery
    random link
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ryobi+p600+laminate+trimmer&t=ffsb&iax=images&ia=images&iai=http://woodworkers-warehouse.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Ryobi-ZRP600-ONE-Plus-18V-Cordless-26000-RPM-Laminate-Trimmer-Tool-Only-0-2.jpg
    newer version they have upped there game and the price to the extent i am expanding my 18v dewalt instead as the dewalt batteries are better value now ;)
    new ryobi 1/4 router far superiour but same power as the old 600
    random link
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryobi-R18T...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B071KKWVRK

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

That makes no sense, they're so good I've stopped using them?

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

what i am saying is they have upped there game and price nearer to the big boys toys prices
    so no longer a diy light trade choice at a small budget off perhaps 40% they are now perhaps about 60-80% so with the batteries now a bit overpriced places them at a bit cheaper or simillar price to the big boys toys
    i still use them its just its so close that given a choice i boost my dewalt iff available but still boost my ryobi like the router as said and the3" belt sander for example its a cracking bit off kit ;)
    random link
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryobi-R18B...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B073FDC4YN

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

DeWalt are bringing out the DCW600 which is cordless like the Ryobi but still won't be powerful enough for what APC wants

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

So they're not as bad as when you used to shout how good they were when they were rubbish but now they charge more so they're rubbish unless you already have the batteries?

6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

never ever said they are rubbish or fantastic:D
    i simply have said they are diy to light trade and at 40% off the price will last the average diyer or those starting up in buisiness for a few to many years
    with the trade start ups replacing the ryobi tools with big boys toys as they fail or they can afford to replace them which can often be years can be the best plan
    but now the price and quality have perhaps doubled so the differential is so so close the choices now will be very different ;)

7. big all

big all Screwfix Select

yes i went to a trade fair at kempton park a month ago played with the router which is exactly the same as duel based 26204 i have but with a battery on top but unfortunatly still about 6 months away but look forward to buying one;)

8. APC

APC New Member

Thank you all for your advice and wisdom, I've researched until I went crossed-eyed.

I've bought a Clarke Contractor CR2. As much I would have liked a Dewalt I couldn't justify the price for something I'll probably only a few times a year This seems to have all the right spec, even comes with a few freebies. How well it performs I'll tell you after I've fitted my worktops which I'm picking up tomorrow so watch this space.

• 2100 Watt, 230V motor
    • Variable speed control (7400 to 21,600rpm) with soft start
    • Plunge depth up to 60mm with micro fine adjustment & depth lock
    • Collet sizes - 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2" included
    • Includes a fantastic 15 piece boxed router bit set & 16 & 30mm guide bushes
    • Also come with 2 guide rods plus parallel & circular guides
    • Router & kit all supplied in a robust carry case

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cr2-2100w-router-kit-230v/

9. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

As long as it works, that looks like a smart choice if you won’t use it much. That’s a decent amount of spec and accessories for the money.

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would be very careful with those cutters. Cheap cutters have been known to snap, once you have experienced it, you will never use one again

Jord86 and gpierce like this.
  11. big all

big all Screwfix Select

just checking you are aware
    you will need a worktop cutter make several passes [reposition 1mm for the final full depth pass]
    or if you have a jigsaw you know will cut strait in say 40mm timber cut between 5-8mm from the cut line and 2 passes
    havent got a clue where the score through came from just ignore it ???

12. big all

big all Screwfix Select

you will need a worktop cutter make several passes [reposition 1mm for the final full depth pass]
    or if you have a jigsaw you know will cut strait in say 40mm timber cut between 5-8mm from the cut line and 2 passes

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  13. APC

APC New Member

14. big all

big all Screwfix Select

just worked it out after cutters i added brackets "s" close brackets to suggest more than one cutter and it scored through

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

these would be better

https://www.axminster.co.uk/axcaliber-kitchen-fitter-s-cutter-set-719615

or these

https://www.axminster.co.uk/axcalib...emarsys-recommendations-product-page-personal

There is also Titman and Wealden

APC likes this.
  16. APC

APC New Member

Thanks for the advice Big all, Going to take it slow, I have a Unika Template so should be good to go. I watched the guy on youtube who keeps saying "What I done" lol! gave me a few tips, wish I'd got the space he'd got, Galley kitchens are a bit snug to work in, hoping it won't rain tomorrow and Sunday.

Just looked at the weather, think I'm going to cut the worktops outside on Sunday going to be a bit yuk Tomorrow.

17. Gringo28

Gringo28 Active Member

The Hitachi M12V2 1/2 is a good router. And well priced for a 2000 watt machine.
    About £200 quid.
    We have three of them at work. I have one in a router table.
    It has a rack and pinion that works well for raising and lowering and is easily engaged and a large extended turning knob.

KIAB likes this.
  18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got a elderly M12, still working, superb router.

19. big all

big all Screwfix Select

mines is the right side off 25 years old but just:rolleyes:
    although to be fair it has quite an easy life :D

20. APC

APC New Member

Well I have to say this Clarke Contractor CR2 is absolutely boss, weighty and solidly built, If it didn't have Clarke on it I'd swear it was a Dewalt. Been using a 50mm Erbauer bit and its cuts very cleanly, I bought this kit: https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-kitchen-fitters-router-set-4-pcs/21039 and I'm well impressed. I think for the money this is a no brainer. The only minuscule mard **** gripe I could reluctantly point out, is the guide bushes don't clip in with a quick release lever like I've seen on some of the big players routers, you need to take 3 screws out of the base and fit it like that, the screws go into an aluminium body so the potential to strip the threads is ever present, just don't use a power tool to screw them in - simples. Having said that the screws hold the guide bush in firmly so no movement at all. Used a Unika 1000 template.