Help. I broke my glow worm 30cxi boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Javier Mitchell, Dec 13, 2018.

1. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Not sure if Glow-Worm will talk to you, but I would like to know as I have one of their boilers too.
    I know that Vokera will as I had a long chat with one of their tech's when trying to wire in my Nest thermostat - he was a bit cheeky at first (you need to get a plumber etc.) but when I was able to talk to him in technical terms his attitude changed a bit and he was quite helpfull. (I am an electronics engineer too).

2. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

3. Javier Mitchell

Javier Mitchell New Member

Hi
    Just replaced control board and reconnected everything. Still the same problem. I suspect the diverter valve. I have hot water, but cannot see the valve moving. Tried to measure it an got continuity between 2 contacts, but nothing in one of them. Is it broken? How can I check?
    Thanks again

4. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Not familiar with this model of boiler, but with the later models if replacing the pcbs you need to configure them to the model of boiler.
    Usually when changing only one pcb they configure (sync) automatically.

5. Javier Mitchell

Actually, the problem is the same on both old and new board, so I don't think that is the problem. In fact there are no adjustments that I can see, unkess is done in software
    Thanks

6. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

It is done in software usually

7. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Was there instructions in either pcb box.

8. Javier Mitchell

9. Javier Mitchell

Now I'm pretty sure the problem is the diverter valve motor assembly. I was not sure how to open the cover to checkit , but either the motor is burnt or the switch contacts are, considering it only cost me £10 to buy a new one from Ebay, is no point in trying to repair i, so ordered a new motor and I'm asking a fried who is a plumber to install it for me
    The thing I was missing is the what we called "diverter valve" is actually 2 things:
    mechanical valve assembly and motor assembly, which in itself may contain more than just a motor, in this case I suspect a switch is also integrated, which will explain why it is failing: the control board is waiting for the signal from the motor, but it never arrives

Anyways, things are looking a bit clear now...

Thanks to everybody

10. Javier Mitchell

Good news: I fixed the bolier
    All it was the J15 connector plugged wrong way around!
    Basically, all the connectors ae plugged in a particular way, or they have a key to prevent it pluggin them in the wrong way
    This one doesn't have a key, and the "obvious" way to plug it in was wrong!
    I only found out after I found this diagram ( seee attached)
    Hope this will help somebody, and thanks to you all for your comments and suggestions

Attached Files:

chippie244 likes this.