Where To Start?

Discussion in 'Job Talk' started by Mozlotov, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Mozlotov

Mozlotov New Member

I've recently moved back to the UK from Norway, where I changed jobs and started working for my father in laws construction company, mainly doing carpentry work. I only did it for 3,5 years but it's something I really enjoyed and is something I'd like to continue doing back here in the UK.

Obviously I know that in my 3,5 years previous work I wouldn't have learned everything and also the guy I got stuck with in Norway was Lithuanian with pretty poor English/Norwegian language skills so a lot of what I did was under direction from somebody who in my opinion wasn't a very good teacher. So as I'm actively now seeking work I have no idea where to start and what to say to people as I also don't have any relevant qualifications in the job I want to do, just the previous job experience. I sent out around 25 CV's with a covering letter to construction and carpentry companies locally a couple of weeks ago and heard nothing back.

I'm desperate to get back into what I was doing and eventually want to get assessed to NVQ level, I just have no idea of how to start, I'm a hardworking guy not afraid of physical or long work (I used to run kitchens as a head chef so have no issue working long hours), I'm keen to learn and I am genuinely reliable which I've explained in my cover letter as well but I am also 34 years old and I fear this is what will be putting a lot of people off.

I really want to get into it here and the mere thought of having to go back to working the kitchens after doing this sort of work for the last couple of years really does keep me awake at night.

Anyone have any advice?

2. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Can't help you but curious how you're getting on and at least your posting will be refreshed

3. shekhar

shekhar New Member

Why don't you do hotel management courses..This is related to that..You can also look for internship under any good chef..This will helps you to start

4. Need a bigger hammer

Need a bigger hammer Active Member

Didn't you read the first post? The guy wants to get back to cutting wooden stakes, not back into frying sirloin steaks...:rolleyes:

5. biffothegrizzly

biffothegrizzly New Member

do what most of the "trades-people" who work for local councils do...say nothing about the lack of experience and face each day and job until you face it...in other words just use bullsh*t...it isn`t hard to fool the bosses and to be fair they don`t give a damn about the quality of the finished article or job anyway.

6. jaswinder Singh

jaswinder Singh New Member

you can look for local wood work shops they may give you low but atleast you will get a start

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Thought all local Carpenter Joiner Shops had disappeared years ago. :(