DPL brick choice?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by MadManc, Dec 15, 2018.

?

Is the builder right?

Poll closed Feb 13, 2019.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Kind of?

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. MadManc

MadManc New Member

910806D4-A5CD-449A-B958-7E26DAE1754A.jpeg

We are currently having a kitchen extension rebuilt. We asked the builder to keep the old brick and reuse it. He said some couldn’t be used and skipped them, however showed us some common brick samples and said he would use these and the existing bricks to blend them in. We were happy with this solution.

He has just finished the foundations and damp proof layer and has used orange engineering brick? When we questioned this he said the old and common brick can’t be used for this initial layer. But we think it will look shocking once completed. (See image below)

Surely there is another solution???

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Pretty poor choice,IBSTOCK, Ketley Brick & Wienerberger, etc, all make engineering bricks in various colours, so should have found something closer.

MadManc and Jitender like this.
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

MadManc likes this.
  4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Re. matching common bricks, visit a local reclamation yard to get a similar brick, you will be paying a lot for these but worth it when you need to match the bricks. Otherwise look around auction sites in local area.

5. MadManc

MadManc New Member

We have plenty of old bricks stacked up just out of shot. We also took down a large internal wall so there should be an abundance of bricks.
    The builder stated that we needed to use these because they are better for damp course and stronger and cope better with damp?
    I haven’t a clue if that’s right. But i’ve seen plenty of new builds using heritage type brick that don’t have a line of tangerine bricks at the bottom. So i’m guessing that i’ve got a reasonable argument?!

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

He's right, you needed an engineering brick up to that level, but, a better colour match would have been far preferable.

7. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

Been better if he'd used a bricklayer to take it to DPC as well.
    PS, bricks should be F2 rated below DPC, you don't have to use engineering bricks.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    WillyEckerslike, MadManc and Jord86 like this.
  8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I stand corrected. Bloody knowledgeable brickies :)

stuart44 likes this.
  9. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

They only have to buy a trowel, level and piece of string out of their mega earnings leaving a small fortune to spend on technical books and holidays by the pool to read them. Chippies on the other hand work all of their lives to pay for the tools they need.....

Jord86 and stuart44 like this.
  10. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

As said above, bricks aside the standard of work thus far in terms of brick layer is terrible.

I'd be taking this opportunity to ask the builder to take it down and do it properly, while he's at it he can source a more appropriate brick.

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Pardon me Willy......... You know a bricklayer that can read? :eek: :D

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  12. MadManc

MadManc New Member

Thanks everyone for your input.

So we will be telling the builder to take it down tomorrow. The question is, would you allow him to put it back up with a right brick if the bricklaying is as bad as it seems?

13. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

brick work seams to be ok just wrong colour you can get a brick tinting kit to match house

MadManc likes this.
  14. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

Are you going to match the under the window bricks or the side wall?

15. MadManc

MadManc New Member

No the under the window bricks are being ripped out and replaced with some french doors.

Peter208 likes this.
  16. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

The SEAMS in the brickwork are all different sizes hence why it SEEMS to be rubbish, or should i say it does SEEM to be rubbish, because it is rubbish. :)