Floor sealant?!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jakehan, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Jakehan

Jakehan New Member

hey everyone.

I’ve used scaffolding boards as a floor in my shop. The shop is 10m x 5m. I’ve sanded the whole floor with 60grit and will soon be 120grit. Any idea what I can use to seal or varnish the floor that won’t cost the earth??? I was thinking some kind of decking oil or am I mad?

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

How hard wearing do you need it to be?
    If a few people will be wandering around on it in slippers or socks, then I would use Danish oil.
    If more people will be strolling around it or if dogs will be playing on it, you need something hard wearing like a two part polyurethane varnish.

3. Jakehan

Jakehan New Member

It will mainly be people popping and wandering around. It’s a fireplace shop so won’t have hundreds of people in weekly. Doesn’t have to look like a brand new floor. We have gone for that rustic worn look. Just something to protect it slightly so we can wipe muddy footprints off or spillages.

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Danish oil in that case.

5. KEVIN NAIRN

KEVIN NAIRN Member

Sorry to disagree but an oiled or waxed floor either softwood or hardwood, has NO protection against dirt. I laid a solid oak floor in a lounge and kitchen a few years ago. In a few weeks the kitchen floor was filthy. I had to sand all the oil off inc the lounge, and gave it 2 coats of Sadolin PV67, a 2 pack varnish. It comes in matt, satin or gloss. For high traffic areas I would use gloss, easier to clean and won't be shiny for long. 2 pack varnishes are much more durable than out of a can. A lot of people here recommend oil or wax for floors - rubbish! A good flooring company always uses 2 pack varnish like on pub countertops. Use a 9" short pile roller in a paint tray to apply. As soon as the first coats dried, apply the second coat. Hope this helps, Kevin

6. KEVIN NAIRN

KEVIN NAIRN Member

For some reason, I don't know why, varnish has now been demonised. Oh no, don't use varnish! Oil and wax are ok for furniture, not for high traffic floors (such as a gym or baseball court) What's the substitute for Yacht Varnish for boats?

7. 2dowhat

2dowhat Member

Osmo poly x Hardwax but like any quality product, it's expensive. There aren't any cheap products that will do what you ask.

8. 2dowhat

2dowhat Member

moron? You're not another chap likes to have a row with the guy in the mirror are you?

9. 2dowhat

2dowhat Member

Of course, you are right sweet heart. Decades of experience with coatings and I've learned nothing.,,

10. 2dowhat

2dowhat Member

In my absence I appear to have missed your positive contribution to the op.

11. 2dowhat

2dowhat Member

e did I suggest it could be? Enlighten us with your wisdom and sunny demeanour.

12. 2dowhat

2dowhat Member

I believe you'd be better placed to comment if you properly read the OP's post. Do spare us the time to report back once you have.

13. 2dowhat

2dowhat Member

Is English not your first language? I ask because you're clearly struggling to comprehend it in written form.

You're not your.

14. 2dowhat

2dowhat Member

Part of the OP's text: Any idea what I can use to seal or varnish the floor that won’t cost the earth???

I rest my case.

15. 2dowhat

2dowhat Member

The numpty known as Goulomb appears to have deleted his comments. Good, he had nothing positive to contribute.

16. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I regret to advise that you've been feeding a troll for the last hour or so. It's just been taken out by admin.

Astramax likes this.
  17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

PV67 is a very hard wearing product, used on squash courts, dance floors, bar tops etc and would be expensive and far exceed the brief given in the original post, a couple of inexpensive products worthy of use would be Dulux Diamond Floor Varnish or Sadolin Polyurethane Floor Varnish, both one pack products offering hard wearing protection for all wooden flooring.;)

18. 2dowhat

2dowhat Member

I had a spare hour whilst waiting for paint to dry!!! Some people really ought to think just a little before operating their fingers.

19. KEVIN NAIRN

KEVIN NAIRN Member

Hi Astramax, yes you're right PV67 is very hardwearing, but in my humble opinion it is much better than a one pack (straight from the can) product. When I do a job, I like to do it just the once. How long will a floor, varnished from a can last before it starts to shoe wear? Still, if the client wants cheap, they get cheap.