Drones and airports

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by diymostthings, Dec 21, 2018.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Just jam the radio frequencies - they will fall from the sky!

diymostthings

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Our wonderful Government with their sharp eye to future trends and a real understanding of people, did not see this coming and have not got the kit to do that, that's why the Army have been called in.
    To jamb a radio signal you must first find the frequency, then apply a stronger signal to over ride the original signal. Then you have the issue of bandwidth spacing to adjacent channels that are correctly used, couple this with the chance of harmonic interference and you will understand why this has not been an option in an environment where radio communications are so essential.

3. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

I would have used a shotgun to bring the drones down.

PhilSo likes this.
  4. diymostthings

Drones operate over a narrow frequency band - and it is inconcievable that the perpretators would have modded the drones for a different frequency. It would be easy (for the might of the services technical experts, not to mention most radio hams) to generate a "wide band" jammer over that narrow band. RF filtering today is very efficient - no [probs with harmonics. We jammed the German bombers directional RF in WW2 without interfering with our own comms.

retiredsparks likes this.
  5. diymostthings

Yes i couldn't understand why that was not attempted. "stray bullets?" what about "stray drones"!

6. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Shotguns are only effective at a range of 50 yards to 75 yards.
    Any other bright ideas ?
    :D
    RS

7. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Why am I not surprised that RS is familiar with shotguns?

Anyhoo, DIYMT, I understand that such advanced drones will simply return to base if they get 'jammed' or otherwise messed with.

(In which case, why haven't they been able to trace them back...)

I am quite looking forward to some serious punishments for this, as I'm sure they will want to make this an example to 'encourage the others'. Unless it's a super-smart 12-year old in which case give him a job.

8. robertpstubbs

Exactly, so there would be little chance of collateral damage. And there is a good spread of pellets to hit a moving target.

PhilSo likes this.
  9. Gringo28

Gringo28 Active Member

Why didnt they just fly another drone into them?
    With regards to shot guns.
    Doesnt the UK military still have helicopters?

Fly close to the drone and shoot it with a shot gun.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    PhilSo likes this.
  11. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

What's wrong with being familiar with shotguns ?

PhilSo

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nothing,great fun when you start using 10, 8 & 4 bore shotguns.:)

13. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

Where the hell did you get opportunity to use them.
    Envious I am.

PhilSo

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Had quite a collection of shotguns,held a licene about 30 years,had a 10 bore,& the usual 12,16,20 & .410 shotguns.

Old chap I knew,use to have a collection of rifles,& large bore guns,even a punt gun, never got to shoot that sadly, but I go out with him pigeon,rabbit & squirrel shooting with 10 & 8(double barreled hammer), bore shotguns.:)

15. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

Doubt there was much left of the prey after that.

Do you still shoot?

PhilSo

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Surprisingly little damage to the prey, pattern became quite open at the longer ranges with the smaller 5 & 6 shot.
    The 10 bore, was about 3/4 choke,& loaded with BB, was good against the foxes.
    Sadly, I don't shoot any more,was having a sort out here, found quite a lot of 20 gauge cartridges,.38 rounds & a load of 9mm garden gun ammo,took the lot to local gun dealer to dispose of, easier than the local cop shop, too many questions..:D

PhilSo likes this.
  17. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

So which 'shotguns'...would actually be 'practical' to use against at fast moving drone ?.. with aircraft under and nearby.
    :)
    Rs

dinkydo likes this.
  18. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

I would think a sniper rifle in the right hands may work, from what I’ve seen these thing tend to hover quite a lot so may become a good target

Some of these rifles can hit their target from a mile away, but it goes without saying you would need Mark Wahlberg :)

19. robertpstubbs

A sniper rifle bullet wouldn’t stop on hitting the drone.

20. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

Agreed Bob, but that is always the case when taking a shot the sniper has a spotter whose job it is to survey the area and beyond, also they can use soft exploding rounds like Air Marshals use on flights so as they hit the target but don’t go on to penetrate the airoplane,

Years gone by I was in special services, but please keep it to yourself.