Decor panels

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by DavidMSmith, Jan 15, 2019.

1. DavidMSmith

DavidMSmith Member

I am planning a DIY fit kitchen. I have a question re decor panels.

The proposed kitchen features a tall larder unit at the end of a run of standard height base units. The overall space is a little tight to fit in the complete run, so it would be useful to have the decor panel at the side of the tall larder unit meeting up with the base unit fitted down to the top of the base unit only, rather than going down all the way to the floor as standard. This would allow the larder unit to sit tight alongside the base unit, with the carcasses touching, thus gaining the 18mm that would otherwise have been taken up by the thickness of the decor panel and everything should then fit comfortably with a slim filler if needed at the other side of the larder unit.

Is this an acceptable arrangement, or are there drawbacks?

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Should be fine. Not ideal but will be fine.

Just take the end panel down to the top of the base unit and run the worktop up to it.

You want to make sure the panel comes out further than the top to make it look good.

3. DavidMSmith

DavidMSmith Member

Many thanks for your reply - much appreciated!

4. cliffk

cliffk Member

Do you have wall units above the base units?
    Will they fit up to the side of the tall unit?
    If so and they are the same sizes as the base units then this wont work as the wall unit run will need to be 18mm smaller to make it fit.

5. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Good point above

6. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

I'd put cut edge to top in this arrangement

7. DavidMSmith

DavidMSmith Member

Many thanks once again for inputs from other members - much valued!
    There are no wall units above base units on that wall so no issues with misalignment - thanks for pointing it out. Also putting cut edge to top.

8. I have the same arrangement. I took the worktop right up to the side of the tall unit and cut the décor panel so it came down onto the worktop.

9. DavidMSmith

DavidMSmith Member

Many thanks. We think we'll follow your advice.