Help ! Split cables

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Emmajamie, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

You're not right. He must go to the contractor before going to the scheme.

2. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Exactly. Cable doesn't have double or reinforced insulation. That is my point.

3. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

No he didn't.

Just because someone advertises something as "double insulated cable" doesn't mean that it is.

* there is no such thing as double insulated cable. Insulated and sheathed cable exists. Some sheaths are made of insulating materials but are not rated as insulation. They are merely there for mechanical protection. Other sheaths are made of conductive materials (e.g. in MIMS cable) which are earthed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2019
  4. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

That doesn't make the claim accurate though. It is colloquially called that despite the fact that it isn't that. I can guarantee you that the cable standard does not claim that it is "double insulated" - because it isn't.

5. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

And good luck on seeing any action done!

retiredsparks likes this.
  6. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

I think the best way forward is to make a written list of the things you are unhappy with, those that you believe constitute defective workmanship and those which are not in accordance with what you were quoted for, e.g. position of sockets. Say to the chap you've done this to avoid any misunderstanding (keep a copy) and ask him how and when he'll put the matters right as clearly you don't want to hold money but can't pay for defective work or work not in accordance with the quote. You must give him the chance to put matters right.

If he doesn't then you can go to whoever he's registered with but don't think that will get the work rectified or done - he might get asked to put his side of the story!.

If all else fails get at least two quotes to put it right as a small claims court is the nest step and they would look favourably if you've taken steps to minimise costs.

Think this is the course in many minor disputes whatever trade.

Hans_25, Jord86 and retiredsparks like this.
  7. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Especially split cables.

8. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

So you resort to verbal abuse again.

You really do like starting arguments don't you? Can't admit that the document posted showed double insulated. Whether that document is a correct statement or not, the document states it and because it proved you wrong you head straight for verbal attack.

I hope Peter sees that!

9. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

It's not double insulated.

ARE YOU ACTUALLY SO CLUELESS THAT YOU DON'T KNOW THAT CABLES AREN'T DOUBLE INSULATED ALTHOUGH FREQUENTLY INCORRECTLY REFERRED TO AS SUCH?

NOW CEASE AND DESIST.

10. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Don't know if anyone has read my other post yet, but get a ******* grip.

nigel willson likes this.
  11. Bazza-spark

I didn't say they were and I didn't agree with the document.

I also suggest you stop shouting!

12. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

@Bazza-spark it's not worth it. We are all wrong but we are in good company...

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/categories/cables-and-accessories-double-insulated-tails-6181y
    https://www.edwardes.co.uk/en/categories/double-insulated-meter-tails-6181y
    https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Index/Tails_Meter_New/index.html?ad_position=1t1&source=adwords&ad_id=204953451331&placement=&kw=double insulated cable&network=g&matchtype=b&ad_type=&product_id=&product_partition_id=&version=finalurl_v3&gclid=CjwKCAiAyfvhBRBsEiwAe2t_i3ZY256aQRyDOQ0p1Nxjk8Lkcz6fdOL-_F5VcfSIPBZrDxxffH4gUhoCZl0QAvD_BwE

Even our hosts are wrong!
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/prysmian...mm-x-3m-reel-double-insulated-pack-of-3/92086

I'll get my coat, I need to pay my car tax (oops sorry i meant Vehicle Excise Duty) I could get the money from a cash machine (oops sorry I meant Automatic Teller Machine). Just pointing out that things can end up with the names people call them by, not what the they were assigned. I am always hoovering up my house with a Henry Vacuum.

An finally the phrase "press and release the secondary mouse button" should always be used instead of the confusing and inaccurate "left click" :)

13. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Yea All I meant was they had to be insulated twice, ie with a sheath and insulation. But no surprise someone got on it. It's his life's mission now to pick holes in anything I say. Sad but there ya go. Hooocha. Crack on.

14. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

No they don't.

They have to be insulated, and the insulation must be protected against mechanical damage. Full stop. End of story.

15. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Anyway , hopefully the op will get back to US with what happens next.god knows what she makes of all this other stuff, are we not all on the same side!

16. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Anyway , hopefully the op will get back to US with what happens next.god knows what she makes of all this other stuff, are we not all on the same side!

17. Bazza-spark

Nigel, yes - we are, but there are some that would just like to pick holes and not offer any useful or constructive advice.

Kind regards

18. Bazza-spark

Nicely put sir.

Kind regards

19. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Yea, by more insulation, otherwise called a sheath. End of the day it's the same thing.

20. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

No. As I have already pointed out sheaths:

a) Aren't rated as insulation.
    b) Don't have to be insulating, and indeed can be conductive (e.g. MIMS).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2019