Stainless steel hob

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Hollie02051987, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Hollie02051987

Hollie02051987 New Member

Hi,

I recently have had a hotpoint stainless steel hob installed and can only describe what looks like rust marks appearing over it. Does anyone know what could cause this or how I can remove it? I have only used a microfibre cloth and method cleaner on it. In all honesty it has hardly been used as well (I'm not a cooker really)

I've complained to Hotpoint who are sending an engineer to assess it but warned me I could be charged a £47 call out fee it found to be my fault or non faulty although I don't see how it could be non faulty.

I have attached pics so you can see what I mean, hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Some stainless steel will rust, you do see rust marks on some cutlery washed in a dishwasher due to the higher levels of salt.
    It could be the cleaner you are using, is it suitable for stainless steel?

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Have you had any grinding done above it? Anything that involved metal cutting?
    Perhaps when the cooker hood went in. Usual cause of those marks on ss sinks and hobs

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Rust marks look like they’re around the edges where the pan supports sit, these are probably steel/iron and may rust if put back onto stove if wet, after washing or if water has boiled over. Water gets trapped between pan support and s steel and rust forms before water evapourates

Great product we use for general cleaning is Shiny Sinks. A mildly abrasive cream cleaner, try it with a nylon pan scourer on rust marks

5. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

I know this won’t help, but it could be that it’s a Hotpoint.

6. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Over the last 5 or 6 years we have seen this happen very very often, usually with SS sinks rather than hobs. With sinks, quite often the reason is obvious, cheap thin SS made down to a price as low as possible. A lot of the SS used in a lot of gas hobs is also very thin and the hobs themselves are also very cheap.
    There is a common denominator there me thinks. That said, the manufacturer should still give you a new one and pay for the labour involved in replacing the hob.