Wood burning stoves

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Harry Stottle, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

Now that the global warming zealots have decimated the car diesel engine market and the government has jumped in and seen an opportunity to increase taxes (lovely says Philip Hammond) they're having a go at wood burning stoves and what's more they're outlawing wet logs! Will they be recruiting and sending round an army of inspectors armed with damp meters?

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

My god, you truly buy every line the "outraged" press spin you, dont you.

Hope you had a great Winterval.

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

They'll have an interesting time trying to tax me on my wood burning stove, all of which is fed from offcuts from my workshop and trees from my property that seem to grow faster than I can burn them.

4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Quick I’m going to set fire to my log piles too make sure there not damp

DIY womble and KIAB like this.
  5. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Wood burning stoves are good for GW; they burn fuel which has grown in the present time zone, so no new gases are released into the atmosphere. Whereas burning fossil fuels releases gases into the atmosphere that have been laid dormant for millions of years.

rogerk101 likes this.
  6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Politicians jumping on the current bandwagon in an attempt to tax us more. My son tells me that they are finding out who has log burners by using a 'lifestyle' survey on the web. Part of it asks 'Do you have a woodburner'. I burn the stuff that would otherwise go on the bonfire, so I don't see how it is creating more pollution, it is saving gas, my cash and reducing the carbon footprint of the home.

rogerk101 likes this.
  7. HappyHacker

HappyHacker Active Member

They are trying to discourage us from having bonfires as well!

So you are expected to put the stuff in a trailer (if you have one large enough) and take it to the local tip (sorry recycling centre) where depending where you live: you will be refused entry as you have a trailer; find it is closed because it used to be a busy day; and/or fill in a five page document because you have brought it on a trailer instead of in your car confirming you are a resident and this is your own waste. If you are lucky you will get a parking space somewhere near the waste wood skip and then you can unload it one piece at a time as you have to cary it past other cars and throw it in the skip you have now polluted the environment by driving to the tip, waiting with engine idling while the queue moves slowly and wasted a few hours of your life. The wood in the skip will probably end up in landfill as someone will have managed to contaminate the skip.

Alternatively you follow the lead of certain types of people and dump it at the side of the road late at night, or even all along the road.

So you take the easy option and burn it on a bonfire, having dried it thoroughly first of course and hope the newly formed enthusiastic bonfire police do not catch you.

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Ban the things on housing estate. The acrid smell stinks from who knows what's burning on the fire. Drives me mad. Think people have had enough of the toxic stink from some, although this year's mild weather we've only had it once. Don't half burn the throut. Plus so many different opinions. Wood and coal or just one. Can't use paper or fire starters. OK to burn fence panels but not painted wood. OK for a small amount of paint on wood but no nails.. What? Given up asking folks as I don't think anyone knows what they are doing.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

The world is full of imagined crisises and weak whinging people.

For starters regarding waste. Get yourself organised.

Most tips are pretty good as is domestic waste collection. Many local authorities do van permits for domestic waste free.

Trade waste you should be paying for anyway.

As for this logburner drama. What a load of hype about nothing.

Bunch of whinging moaners petrified than the big bad burner inspector is going to knock on their door.

There will be no ban on burners. The only suggestions I have seen are a ban on petrol stations selling bags of wet logs and restrictions on use right in city centres. Both seem sensible ideas

10. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Wayners, I much prefer the smell of burning wood than the smell of kerosene from an old kna%$ered oil fired domestic boiler, we have one around here somewhere. It seems that we are unable to decide on which pollutants we are going to target, is it particulates, carbon dioxide, unburnt fuel etc. You are seeing issues where none exist, coal fires were the real polluters.

11. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

I first heard about it on BBC Radio4, then saw it mentioned in newspapers, then saw it on TV. No doubt that if there's a tax raising opportunity or create another non-job for local councils it will be correct.

12. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Its just yet another bandwagon for the permanently offended and paranoid to jump on. Its a good fit for you.

It will get repeated ad-infinitum

13. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I must admit, personally i don't have a woodburner (can't be bothered with all that chopping up and clearing out ash). I have fitted kitchens in houses that do have woodburners though, the latest being last week.
    The customer to be frank is a complete cheapskate, spent the entire process trying to beat us down on price to the point that they didn't even want to pay for a skip. When we ripped the old kitchen out, he spent an entire day cutting it up to burn in their woodburner. I did point out that it was all chipboard and would be releasing toxic fumes, as well as coating his chimney with flammable resins. He wasn't bothered...............................and there i think lays the crux of the governments interest in woodburners. I would lay odds on most peeps burn whatever is flammable and don't give a monkeys about the consequences, even in their own house.

Heat and btiw2 like this.
  14. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

In my rural county one of the main call outs for the fire service (after false alarms) is the chimney fire - often caused by people burning unseasoned (wet) wood.

But is the government’s job to stop people burning their own house down? Dunno. Maybe it is.

Either way, I know I can’t summon Harry’s energy to get outraged about it.

15. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

That brings back some memories of a house party in an old house twenty odd years ago.
    The poor girl had only moved into the place a few weeks previously, and we nearly burnt the place down as soon as her parents were away for the weekend.
    The firemen assured us that it wasn't our fault though, as the chimney in question probably hadn't been swept for several decades. Thankfully it was only smoke damage and a ruined fireplace rug.

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Just have to look at a travellers site when they have left to see what is burnt (and worse still what isn't) the amount of cable sheathing and other coating that are burnt to get to the metal is quite shocking

17. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

You can’t say that. You are just being racist.

;)

18. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

Bloody true though. Scum of the earth!

longboat and Heat like this.
  19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

There are good travellers and bad travellers.

Same as any other community or race.

20. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Some of the groups of them are 100% bad though.
    You couldn’t be part of those groups without being part to the criminal activities or knowing what was going on.

Sad really considering they can be real grafters.

Dam0n likes this.