Best way to break up an unused water tank

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Johno, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Johno

Johno New Member

I have a couple of old large dried out water tanks in my loft that take up a lot of space that I want to reclaim for storage. What's the best and safest way to break them up small enough to be able to remove them through the loft hatch? I'm thinking jig-saw or angle grinder? Any other suggestions welcome.

The house was built in 1968 which is when the tanks would have been fitted so I'm almost certain they're not asbestos, in fact they feel like plastic to me.

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Plastic can be cut easily with a decent hand saw.

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Put some pics up.

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I recently removed the plastic loft header tank from my sister-in-law's house. To fit it through the loft hatch, I simply cut it down to size with a wood saw. I wanted to be able to reuse it so took off just enough so it was able to fit through, and now it's collecting rain water from my shed roof.

DIY womble likes this.
  5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

If they are round plastic "roll" them up into a tublar shape that's how they got them up there. Post a photo though just in case they are asbestos and best left alone!