Replacement smoke alarms

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Matt J Smith, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Matt J Smith

Matt J Smith New Member

Hi there. Hoping someone can help me. Recently moved into a new house and it appears that previous owner took the smoke alarms with him.

Obviously I need to replace them and am hoping to make life as simple as possible by getting ones that will work with the existing wiring / connection - photo attached.

I've attached a photo in the hope that someone can tell me whether what I have is a standard connector which will marry any smoke alarm, or if I need to be looking for a specific type.

Will really appreciate the help, thank you :)

IMG_20190203_174338_resized_20190207_105119100.jpg

IMG_20190203_174405_resized_20190207_105119867.jpg

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That is a old BRK alarm base, been superceded, new base is different I believe, was used for the BRK 86 IONISATION & BRK 2002 PHOTOELECTRIC,plus several other alarms.

I would replace the lot with a new alarm,ideally Aico among the best.

https://www.aico.co.uk/

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Matt J Smith likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The BRK 670MBX replaced the older BRK 86 alarm, new alarms now have a different size block connector & the base plate smaller.

So, I would replace the lot with Aico.

Matt J Smith likes this.
  4. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Agree with @KIAB. The hard bit of installing alarms is putting in the wiring. It'll only take you less to to fit nice shiny Aico alarms than scouring the interweb for replacements. Just make sure you can identify the conductors (Live, Neutral and Interconnect)

Good Luck

Matt J Smith and KIAB like this.
  5. Matt J Smith

Matt J Smith New Member

Thanks guys, that's amazingly helpful and sounds like great advice.

Can I tell which conductor is which based on the colour of the wiring pictured?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Looking at your photo, I say yellow is the interconnector, but only testing would confirm this.
    Shouldn't be too difficult if you know were the live feed is taken from,off lighting circuit, or seperate circuit from consumer unit(switch off power if your not confident with electric).
    And never assume the obvious with wiring & colours, been caught out myself with interconnects changing colours.:mad:

Matt J Smith likes this.
  7. Matt J Smith

Matt J Smith New Member

Sorry to be completely ignorant but is there a cheap device I can buy to do that? Or is it a job for a tradesman?

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

How tight is taking your smoke alarms with you.

They look like they are getting on for "out of date" anyway.

My mate bought a house and on the final day the vendor asked for £5k for carpets. (old knackered ones)

Mate said no and the vendor pulled them all up and hid them in the loft.

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If you haven't got the kit, then I would get a spark in to sort it, hour's work at most.

Matt J Smith likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

OP's smoke alarms date from 2000 onwards,well past their life span,so no use, seen smoke alarms taken,light fittings, even the new gas combi in a house a friend bought.
    Even if things are screwed down they are not safe.

11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

On the flip side, just moved house and the chap left (asking us first) some aluminium scrap, a brand new Zanussi washing machine, a brand new fence panel, six sacks of grit for the drive and about 200 litres of LPG which is a good few quid.

I took everything out of our old house including the wallpaper......only joking. I left them an electric log burner and a six month old 32inch LG Smart TV that was fitted in the kitchen.

KIAB likes this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Like with a lot of things you get good & bad sellers.:)

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Only fitting I took was a door handle and lock to the outdoor office that had real sentimental value.

15 minutes before the money came in and keys needed to be handed over I was replacing it....with a better one!

14. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

I wonder if it's the case that if smoke alarms are fitted they need to be in date and fully functional, otherwise the buyer can insist that the seller gets the system fixed.
    So removing the alarms is cheaper than fixing the system.

In scotland at least, there is a short window after the sale concludes where the seller is obligated to repair anything that should be reasonably expected to be working.

15. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Aye, but it all depends what's in the missives.

16. Matt J Smith

Matt J Smith New Member

Thanks for the help :)

KIAB likes this.
  17. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Scottish financial mentality. Strip out anything of value from the house 'afore ye go. Tight arsed buggers should be made to return them.

KIAB likes this.
  18. Where in the the original post is the property said to be in Scotland, or the previous occupants being Scottish mentioned.

If you read post number 14 by furious customer if the smoke alarms were removed in a house sale in Scotland,it would seem that the purchasers could get the vendors to repair the system.

19. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

furious_customer mentioned Scotland. I assumed it was in Scotland. Perhaps it isn't after all. :( Tight arsed unknown nationality buggers. :)

20. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Not sure if the OP is in scotland, but I am :)
    I was just thnking out loud as to why the alarms might have been removed...I was wondering if it's the case that if smoke alarms are fitted, they need to be in working order...so if you have a system that doesn't work then you have 2 options - fix it or uninstall it.