Only having clapboard on side of shed where it can be seen?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by BikerChris, Feb 17, 2019.

1. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone thinks this is dumb.

I'm putting up a glorified shed for myself as a store as not much storage space in house. I was going to put clapboard up the side but to avoid having to take down a council fence (well sturdy and bodge reinforced) that's in between my garden and a public footpath, I wondered if I could do the attached? I also don't want to advertise I'm doing it, I dont live in the best area and don't want to take fence down and have people nicking materials/tools or thinking that what is going to be inside is worth nicking. So just have clapboard where it can be seen above fence and solid board below the fence level. If I can I would get 1 or 2 pieces to cover the area (around 1.8 x 6m).

What do you think? I'm only trying to save agg. As blockwork is external leaf, may be I should use Dryseal waterproofer or something like that instead. This way I could stop every 3 course of blockwork, let mortar dry then paint.

Any comments or other ideas welcome, I know this might sound stupid but just doing what is best in my situation.

Cheers

Chris

Attached Files:

2. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

3. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

sounds like a plan he who

4. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

hi mate, which do you think is better? It's a plan but be good to hear your comments. Think I'll dryseal at the moment, just seems like a better plan - shame I have to write stuff down before I figure it out lol!

5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Vertical feather edge boarding would look more like a fence, I would think.
    Space it off so water is not trapped and cut it just above shed hight maybe.

BikerChris likes this.
  6. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Which way is the prevailing wind , lay left to right or vise versa

BikerChris likes this.
  7. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

I could do vertical I guess, be a bit more work but not by much. The flat roof would have an overhang of around 100mm so that should help the top.

The wind would be hitting it head on if you know what I mean, hopefully not too much though as there are plenty of fences near by and a big tree (far enough away not to cause issues)