Will this work?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dvddvd, Mar 19, 2019.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

i want to build a DVD storage unit.

I want it wall hung around 150mm in depth.

I plan on building it out of MDF, it will be 700mm wide X 1800mm high.

Basic 18mm back with 150mm sides and bottom and top, shelved out with the same 18mm MDF.

For the door again 18mm MDF and using kitchen hinges. Will a 18mm X 700mm X 1800mm door be ok, or should I make two 900mm doors? If one door will be ok how many kitchen hinges should I fit ? Thanks

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You'll be pushing it with 1 door I would do 2 doors 1800 x 350 with at least 3 hinges on each.
    Blum used to do a little chart with door sizes and hinges needed.

3. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

That would mean having handles if the door is split in the middle, which I didn't really want. I planned on making the door 10mm wider so you had something to hook onto to open. I could split the doors length ways so two 700mm wide and 800mm long? Thanks

4. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Just had a quick look and it says each hinge has a 3.5 kg weight loading?

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Build it with one door and 4 hinges, if it sags cut it in half and add another hinge to each door.

mr moose likes this.
  6. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

Jord86 likes this.
  7. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

You would feel much more satisfied and end up enjoying the creative experience much more if you made it out of real wood.
    There's some really nice birch plywood readily available which would be a treat to work with and end up looking much better.
    I know, because I've just fitted out my campervan in 12mm birch plywood and it's something I'm seriously proud of.

candoabitofmoststuff likes this.
  8. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi thanks I want it finished in he same colour as the walls and the doors will be covered in fabric to match the acoustic panels I have in the room

9. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

DVD unit?
    For a minute I thought this was one of those posts that had ben resurrected from 15 years ago! :)

I just store mine next to the gramophone player.

buckeroo82 and chippie244 like this.
  10. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

After building this DVD unit, I want to build a vinyl record cupboard...seriously !