Quick question regarding Logic Combi 30 boiler losing pressure

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by James101, Apr 8, 2019.

1. James101

James101 New Member

Can I assume if my rads have never needed bleeding that the problem is with the boiler and not the rads? i.e. there has been no water loss in the rads and pipework?
    The boiler is on a contract but the rads aren't.
    So would like to know before I call someone out.
    I am having to repressurise every morning, been a constant problem with this boiler and can no sign of leaks anywhere.

Thanks
    James

2. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

Turn of rads try it and see if drops if no drop then rads if continue to drop could be pipework boiler etc
    Start
    Do same with boiler valves see if it's boiler mater of finding
    What type of boiler is it

3. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

Sorry did not read the title could be boiler valve off and see

4. Top the boiler up to exactly 1 bar,then turn off the valves on the flow and return and leave overnight.
    If the pressure has dropped it is the boiler,if not it is the rads or rad pipework.

5. James101

James101 New Member

Thanks.
    I have tried to turn the valves off but one of them is jammed solid.
    The other thing I have noticed is the siphon trap is full of what looks like iron filings - could this suggest a heat exchanger problem?

Thanks
    James

6. ESPlumb

ESPlumb Member

The condensate trap does collect debris which looks like grey sludge. This is quite normal and nothing to worry about. It should be cleaned out when your boiler has it’s annual service.
    Is the boiler still under warranty? The stuck valve needs sorting in order to test for leaks within the boiler as described above.
    Have you checked that you’re not losing water through the pressure relief pipe that goes outside?

7. James101

James101 New Member

Thanks for the replies.

The debris does not look like sludge, more like fine grit, I do have a magnaclean fitted.
    The PRV has been changed a while ago, I have tied a plastic bag to the outlet and it is completely dry, so assume it's not the valve.
    It's on a maintenance contract as I found it nigh on impossible to get an engineer out in winter. (no one ever calls back!)
    I'm just trying to garner some info before I call them out as I have to pay the excess every time.
    I had the same problem a few months back and it was down to the a leak at the part where the diverter fits (can't remember what it is called)
    This problem has been around a long time and never been completely fixed, but it's now gone having to be re-pressurised every week to almost every day.
    In summer it's usually ok for weeks before it needs doing.

Thanks again

James