Renewing private water supply from stream up hill

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by BCVans, Apr 6, 2019.

1. BCVans

BCVans New Member

We are looking at changing our current set up.
    Chicken wire on pipe in stream to 1000lt holding tank exit pipe has 400 micron filter to 100 micron disk filter before house.
    Holding tank is approximately 40m vertical rise above the house. Current mdpe is 25 mm.

Current issues:
    Lack of pressure
    Level of turbidity into the house
    Pipe length unknown
    Actual drop unknown

Need to work out,

Size of feed pipe down the hill into filtration system? Which one?
    Into reduced diameter pipe to increase pressure. It would be good to get as close to mains pressure as possible without using a pumped system?

Where can I find the necessary calculations?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Cheers

2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    One thing at a time, if the tank is 40m above outlet, that equates to 4 bar pressure.

4 bar pressure is plenty.
    Is it the flow that’s the problem, not the pressure ?

If you are renewing the pipe, this needs to be a bigger pipe, the cost is mainly the Labour and materials.
    So a bigger pipe is not a great deal more
    So , I haven’t looked up the calculation, but, I’d think maybe 50mm or 2” in old money would be fine,

Good luck
    Peter

KIAB likes this.
  3. BCVans

BCVans New Member

Hi Peter, thank you for your response.

The system has been in situ for a long time, although it's functional some of the pipe work is dated and the tank is split. Currently it requires servicing weekly to maintain a constant flow. Having frozen a few weeks back and the quantity of fine sediment blocks the filter.

My plan is to dig a sump next to the stream (it's just over a trickle in the summer and sheep are present) to locate the pipe inlet and draw from. I'm looking at replacing the tank and 50mm sounds better to me given the use of appliances in the home which weren't fitted before.

This is part of the first phase of the project so getting a reliable safe water supply to the house is vital. The internal plumbing will happen in a couple of years, it's suitable for now.

Now just need to decide on the filtration system. I guess I need to get a water sample assessed and go from there.

Cheers,

4. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Had a quick look, the charts say around 1” pipe, but an allowance for bends valves etc.
    I’d be inclined to do it once and do it good.

As for turbidity, installing another settling tank before the main tank would help.

I was in New Zealand and the property had no mains connected, like a lot of properties in the countryside.

The rain fall was enough to supply the bungalow.

The storage was very big, maybe 10,000 lt,
    Because the tank was at ground level, it had a simple pressurised pump set. And no filters ,

Regards
    Peter

5. BCVans

BCVans New Member

My sentiments exactly, do it once do it right. I really need to explore the stream to see if there is a more suitable draw off point. Unfortunately it's not deep and slow moving it's very steep and shallow, the cause of the turbidity especially after heavy rainfall.

kiaora likes this.
  6. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    I posted previously without seeing your reply,
    I can see the picture better now,
    Do you need water for the live stock,

If so, and you have access to a digger, I may suggest something like this...

From stream, to 1000 lt settlement tank then to a 10,000 lt tank, with over flow back to the stream,
    You need to avoid the water getting warm in the summer, and freezing in winter, so burying in the ground will insulate from heat and cold ,also with overflow going back to the stream, a bit of stagnant water avoidance !

Note, the pipe outlet from the first tank to be at the top of the tank, and feeding the large tank at high level but with a dip tube to low level in tank.
    Then the outlet from this tank above the dip tube outlet,...... hope this makes sense

Good luck
    Peter

BCVans likes this.
  7. BCVans

BCVans New Member

That makes perfect sense.

The animals don't belong to us but roam the land we draw our water from, hence the need to filter, there is a strong possibility of sheep shut in the water.

8. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

Hello

BCVans likes this.
  9. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The higher up the stream you can collect the water the cleaner it will be and the pipe size can be minimised. You could start with a run of 50mm pipe for 100m or so and then reduce to 25mm as the pressure increases with head to drive the flow. Bury it below the frost penetration and use your idea of a collection tank next to the stream with through soil peculation to provide initial filtering and frost protection.

BCVans likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And it might be possible to fence a area off where water is extracted to stop sheep accessing it.

BCVans likes this.
  11. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    Had another thought,
    How about digging a bore hole say 2m from stream, more, if it looks positive, and see if it fills with water say 1m deep ?
    If things look good, install the existing tank, surrounded with stones, with some holes in it,
    The will give water ready screened from debris ?
    And start the pipe work from there,
    As in this fills the big water storage etc.

that’s maybe, a better way of extracting it, ?

Good luck
    Peter

BCVans and KIAB like this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Seen that done with a tractor mounted post borer,drill hole about 3' or so deep & about 6" diameter & hole lined with peforated land drainage pipe, then extaction pipe in hole & backed filled with clean stone & water was pumped to storage tank for filling cow troughs.:)

BCVans likes this.
  13. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi kiab
    That’s the sort of thing I was getting at, but, because the “new bore hole” is 40m up the hill, instead of using a sump pump, if we install a tank, then tap off the bottom, you’ll have a screened water supply at 4bar pressure. !
    And it’s below ground level, and will have frost protection
    What do you think ?

Regards
    Peter

BCVans and KIAB like this.
  14. BCVans

BCVans New Member

Morning Kiaora, GM, Bob, Kiab,

Thanks again for the advice.
    I haven't managed to explore further up stream as its extremely steep and lots of windfall trees precariously balanced across.
    It's an awkward site, foot access only and the stream is the boundary of two land owners. Neither our ours although we have historical access rights to draw and access.
    The stream starts a few hundred meters in elevation higher up. I do need to check and see if there is a better site to draw off.

In the winter it rages and has washed the draw pipe out a few times (not that it's secured well at the moment!) And in the summer it runs enough to keep the tank full.

I had thought of digging a sump and the idea of using the perforated pipe is a great idea. Only issue could be the amount of slate.

Will try and upload a photo of the location.

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Slate issue can be over come,petrol breaker.

BCVans likes this.
  16. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

In the UK, Wales at the Towers outdoor pursuit centre run at the time by Wolverhampton Education, they drew the water from a stream up hill. The pipe was laid on the stream bed and secured at the top with a mesh filter. To stop it freezing in the winter they used a kind of electric trace heating, but inside the pipe, they ran a twin cable up through the pipe joined at the top end and using a transformer, passed a current through the cable that made just enough heat to keep the pipe from freezing.

BCVans likes this.
  17. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Growing up we had a private supply, but the draw off from the stream was lower than the tank, ran down a pipe a fall of about 2 metres to a Green & Carter ram then up a good 10m to the tank. The set up never gave any trouble and the delivery was the same all tear round. Every now and again the ram would stop, my job was to go and re-start it, normally a bit of twig caught in the purging valve.

Attached Files:

18. Tony Goddard

One of the great benefits of drawing your water from lower down and using a ram to get it up is you don't get any sediment going into the system.

19. BCVans

BCVans New Member

Never heard of this system, sounds really interesting. Will need to do some more research. Thank you for letting me know.

20. Tony Goddard

No problem. The ram is a pump that runs on the small pressure of the supply water alone, no electricity. It has only two moving parts, the clack / purge valve and the snifter valve.
    In the UK the two manufacturers are Green & Carter of Winchester and Allspeeds/Blakes of Accrington, there are german made rams on ebay for about £350. The British ones are better made but a lot more!

Here is a video of a small ram in operation in china

Here is a video of 3 much bigger rams in a fancy installation here in the uk, much bigger tha you would need!

In your case I would make a run off from the stream to a header tank, from there a smooth drop to the ram, then a pipe up to your storage tank, simples!

KIAB and BCVans like this.