Multi tool blade for cutting rusty bolt

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by furious_customer, Apr 11, 2019.

1. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

I am in the process of repairing a kids swing-set.

There is a bracket that is attached with a seriously corroded carriage bolt and nut, so I think the only real option is to cut the nut off with an angle grinder, but since I don't have one I was wondering if I could do it with a suitable blade in my multi-tool?

If so, which blade should I get?

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

use a hacksaw if just the one to cut. Do you own one

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Your multi tool blades usually have printed on them what materials they are designed for

So, if you have a metal blade, it should tell you so

When cutting the bolt, don’t hold the blade in same position but move continuously from side to side to aid cutting

Depends as well on quality of blade and hardness of bolt but give it a go

4. furious_customer

Due to the location of the bolt - right in the corner of a bracket, I can't get into it with a hacksaw.

5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Can you split the nut off? It can be done with a small sharp cold chisel or better still, a nut splitter.

Edit: Does your hacksaw have an option to turn the blade through 90° and would this improve access? Or, could you just use your hacksaw blade out of the handle?

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  8. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

Id just ask around and borrow an angle grinder .

Or bite the bullet and buy a cheapy. Million uses for them.

[​IMG]

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Don’t know why some guys here are being so quick to discount the multi tool option ?

We don’t yet know bolt material and how hard/soft it is or size, but I bet it’s smaller than M10 so nothing major

The semi circular thin blades are good for this use, plenty of teeth so if you knacker a section, just turn blade round a tad

Doesn’t need to be a £20 Bosch blade either, plenty of good alternatives out there and if you ‘kill’ a blade, well you’ve given it a go at least

If used blades from Aldi that have been rather good and Erbaur blades from SF that would struggle to cut butter fresh from the fridge

Geezer has a multi tool anyway, don’t know if he has any metal blades but ....... worth a try I say

Sure a 4” grinder with metal slitting disc would take seconds but if you don’t own one then, consider alternative methods

10. furious_customer

Aah - are the grinding burrs effective?
    I have been trying to drill the head off the carriage bolt, but that isn't easy going.

11. Scott Green

Scott Green Member

You can pick up an angle grinder for £30. I got the erbauer from screwfix with a disc for £40, didn't think I'd hardly use it but have used it more often than i expected. Multi blades aren't cheap, so chancing it may turn out to be pointless

12. furious_customer

Got this sorted - was in Asda to buy something for dinner last night and their crappy own brand on sale for £15 and came with a disc.

One question though - it was a metal grinding disc - it did cut the bolts off, but took a few minutes for each one - if I had a metal cutting disc, would it have been much easier?

13. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Yes. However unless you're going to cut a lot of metal in future I shouldn't rush out and buy some now. You've done the job. Buy some when you're going to need them again. It's often much quicker to use a hacksaw than get the grinder out, find an extension lead, change the disc, make the cut and put everything away again.

14. Not-a-Decor8r

Not-a-Decor8r Member

Dam0n likes this.
  15. DIYperson

DIYperson Member

I bought the Saxton 35mm Heavy Metal Carbide multi tool blade for cutting 10 rusted M6 nuts & bolts on a garden bench. It worked and was certainly a lot less effort than using a hacksaw but it wasn't as speedy as I'd hoped. I would have struggled to fit an angle grinder into the available space.

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Multitools are pretty limited I have a Bosch which has occasional use but as a must have tool.......'NO' leave it out!