The cost of civil disobedience?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by WillyEckerslike, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

It doesn’t diminish the validity of their cause.
    Just diminishes the credibility of any protestors that have time to waste

longboat and WillyEckerslike like this.
  2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Were they Catholics, Heat doesn't like Catholics, he does like marching though, that's fine.

3. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

That very below the belt Chippie, even from you.
    Maybe a Saturday night drink or two brought that chip out onto your shoulder?

Some people I would call my friends are Roman Catholics.
    Lots of my customers are same.
    Several of my close neighbours are also of same faith or background.

Yes, I don’t like the RC Church, in many respects, (particularly and almost exclusively in Ireland), but I have my reasons, - just like you also do.
    I know you are not a fan of your birth religion and fair play to you.
    I won’t blame any person for their choice of religion though.

I don’t do marching and rarely been on a protest. But I respect the right to do so.

Activists in London are just fighting the law and wasting their time. Has to be a better way to attempt change.
    Ironically many of us will agree with their cause

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You support
    You support marching though and what have you done to protest climate change.

5. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I have done no protesting about climate change. I guess most of us are same.
    I do support the view that we need to help save the planet.

Marching is a word used to stereotype and to make snide comments against Protestants in NI.
    Marching isn’t always about protest.
    And there is absolutely nothing wrong with majority of the bands and parades.

(I think you have just picked up on a reply I made to Odd Bodkin? a while back to say marching bands have plenty of decent people and supporters.)

6. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

The climate is changing and there's not much we can do about it because most of it in not man made. Instead of crippling our economy with green taxes we ought to be adapting to climate change.
    Greenback, the reason why the validity is diminished is because hippies and similar are generally ignorant of the broader issues in life and certainly about climate change and you're right Heat, their credibility is on a level with empty headed rebel rousing. If they want to make an impression on the UK taxpayers and businesses they need to go and protest in China or Saudi Arabia to experience how those authorities deal with them, now that would be impressive.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Harry speaks utter tripe again

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm not a fan of religion, the differences between them are immaterial.

9. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I agree. Religions just divide people.

The differences between religions can be dramatic though and clearly religions can influence people in a negative way.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

But the way you talk about prots and Catholics means you are upholding the status quo.

11. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Wish I could change the status quo, but the division exists and not enough people are challenging it.

12. Broon

Broon Active Member

How have we went from discussing if those that have been protesting should pay for the cost they create to discussing religion?

Which in my opinion like everything has its pros and cons. In my eyes having faith is a good thing if people are struggling and they get a bit of faith and it helps them through great. The issues comes in when people blindly follow a religion without question just like with politics it can be a disaster.

13. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Is that because:
    • Carbon dioxide doesn’t absorb infrared and thereby trap heat?
    • Or our society doesn’t produce carbon dioxide?
    • Or people don’t produce much carbon dioxide?
    I’m just trying to work out whether you’re ignorant of basic physics, chemistry or mathematics.

chippie244 likes this.
  14. Harry Stottle

Not at all btiw2, it's because most CO2 is caused by volcanoes and human population, neither of which we can do much about. Add to that, solar energy landing on Earth is in line to the fourth power with Milankovitch oscillations in the distance to the sun. Not surprising to people who know about these things, the Milankovitch oscillations coincide with the earth's temperature variations.
    I'm afraid that the protesters wanting politicians to "do something about" climate change are a modern equivalent of King Canute.

15. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

People who “know about these things” also know that they’re cycles in the order of tens of thousands of years. Not exactly relevant to the last 20 years. Do I have to explain the difference between big and small numbers too?

Volcanoes? Take a look at CO2 measurements in the last few decades, have there been loads of volcanic eruptions that nobody noticed?

But back to my question. You accept that we produce co2, and we can calculate how much, and it absorbs IR heating up the atmosphere?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Someones been on Wikipedia :p:p

btiw2 likes this.
  17. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

If he had, he might have learnt something.

Harry never ventures beyond the echoing in his own head.

chippie244 likes this.
  18. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I cannot dispute the fact that large concentrations of co2 will in fact cause a heating effect on an atmosphere.
    But, do you believe that a 0.01% increase in co2 levels would make any difference?

19. Harry Stottle

I too don't dispute that CO2 traps heat, what I am saying is that the sources are mainly natural. UK is already one of the most effective reducers of CO2 levels in the world and we are probably the most effective at crippling our manufacturing industries with green taxes and slavishly following ill conceived EU targets. It's time we stopped beating ourselves up for the sake of impossible goals, especially when the rest of the world pays lip service to reducing CO2.

I hope we don't reduce it too much because CO2 is vital for growing crops, vegetables and fruit.

20. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Mainly natural? It is true that nature does indeed release and take in CO2. We're talking about the rise here.

[​IMG]

How has nature changed over this time period?
    Have we had a steady and precise increase in the number of volcanoes since the 60s?
    Have plants just become more bolshie every year, showing a steady year-on-year reluctance to take in CO2?
    No. Because it's us, isn't it?

About the only way that nature is contributing to this rise is that, as we warm the planet, nature releases even more CO2 than it takes in.
    Blaming that rise on nature is like an arsonist claiming they didn't burn down a house - they just lit a small fire.

But let's just say for the sake of argument (and past experience) that you want still wanted to pigheadedly ignore facts - fortunately we can tell where the extra CO2 comes from.
    Carbon has different isotopes. Fossil fuels are depleted in CO13. By examining the ratio of C12/C13 we can find out where that extra CO2 is coming from.
    It turns out it's from burning fossil fuels in an oxygen environment. Duh!

The UK isn't an effective "reducer of CO2". What the hell are you talking about?
    We may be reducing the amount we're increasing it by.
    That's like our previous arsonist claiming they're now innocent because they're burning down fewer houses than they used to.

In summary, I trust we now agree that:
    CO2 traps heat
    The rise in CO2 is down to humans

As for "I hope we don't reduce it too much".
    Reduce it too much?! We're not reducing it.
    I suspect atmospheric CO2 won't reduce in our, or our childrens', lifetimes.

On the positive side, at least you've stopped going on about cycles which have effects over tens of kiloyears.

You might not like the protesters.
    You might think they're smug and preachy - I do.
    But at least they're not coming onto the Screwfix forum posting fact-depleted claptrap.

Please go back to posting your vague and meaningless ramblings about politics - I find those easier to ignore than your mangling of high school science.

Ber Serker and Jord86 like this.