Bathroom recessed small screw light

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Harinder Dhillon, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Harinder Dhillon

Harinder Dhillon New Member

All i have the following bathroom light that is above my shower and is recessed into the ceiling. Its a small edison screw light. I need to replave the unit as it is not working. Anu idea where i can get a bathroom recessed light to fit the below measurements? Pictures and measurements are below. Thanks for your help!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

is that not part of a inline fan light comes on with the fan.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You need to know the diameter of the hole in plasterboard for new fitting,not rim diameter.

4. Harinder Dhillon

Fan is connected to the light switch, which is a metre away. But im thinking a light is a light, so that should not affect it. Also cut out diameter about 3 inches. 70cm. Where can i get a like for like replacement?

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Cant you just buy the right one you like for the appropriate zone as long as its bigger and just adjust the cutout?

6. Harinder Dhillon

Im not that skilled. Id like a near like for like replacement. Id be cr.ap at cutting!

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

It looks a fairly standard size so take it out and measure it then go along to your local electrical store and get a replacement, You also need to check whether it's mains or extra low voltage.

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

If you can get into long trousers without having the capacity to jab saw out a smidgen of plasterboard I despair.

My 6 yr old will come round and do it for you if you want.

9. Harinder Dhillon

Thats the stupidest comment to make. If i dont want to cut plaster, i dont want to do it. NO i dont want ur son over

10. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

I keep some old serrated kitchen knives which my cat uses for jobs like this.

Jord86 and goldenboy like this.
  11. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

with a perrrrrrfect result.

Jord86 and goldenboy like this.
  12. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

How do you you know its my son?

Girls can chop plasterboard out too buddy.

Anyone can it seems but you.

14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Nope boss, stupidest comment is coming on a forum and saying you lack the skills to cut a sliver of plasterboard out.

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

When you say ‘the units not working’ - there’s not really a great deal to actually go wrong with it tbh

Firstly is it mains voltage and run via a transformer - have you got access above fitting, ie. a loft ?
    Check bulb as well, voltage should be stamped / printed somewhere

If mains v, have you checked there’s power going to fitting ? Both Live and Neutral. Could be a fault with actual lamp holder but probably not

Simple test - switch bulb with another known working one and what happens ?

If low voltage, via a transformer, and no power, then likely it’s a blown transformer (which is a common fault)

If so, take picture of transformer and replacement from SF can be suggested

Above saves swapping fitting for new, possibly damaging ceiling/artex, having to cut away ceiling or having anyone’s kids come over for the day :)

Harinder Dhillon likes this.
  16. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Probably just wants the lamp holder connections bending in a bit.

Harinder Dhillon likes this.