Induction hob wiring

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Max Baumber, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Max Baumber

Max Baumber Member

Hi All

Back again as you always have the answers!!

So I've had a new kitchen fitted and just need to wire up the induction hob - this is it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ZFSGL8C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I thought it would come with wiring but it doesn't so I need to buy it. I've done some research and which of the below cables would be best fit? 10mm or 6mm?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JIL8ZT0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071WQCFV4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The main question is.. actually how to wire this thing in. I have the direct outlet in the wall into which the old hob was wired, but can someone explain how to properly wire this thing up at the 'hob end' using one of the above cables please?

Attached Files:

2. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Expensive prices for the cable. If you live near a TLC you can buy it by the metre for much less.

3. Max Baumber

Max Baumber Member

Thanks Robert. Any advice on wiring?

4. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

4mm heat resistant flex, wire neutral to N1 or N2 live to L1 or L2 leave the links in, using the 220 to 240 picture

5. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

you would need 6mm t&e leave the links in for 240 volts blue to neutral brown to live bare core earth must be sleeved green yellow.

6. robertpstubbs

Commas or other punctuation would help.

Max Baumber likes this.
  7. Max Baumber

Max Baumber Member

Ok thanks!
    Just a thought - I am very new to this.. so I know the answer will be get a sparky but... How do I detect the L,N and G points in the wall as they are obviously not labelled internally. I can send pics later if that helps?

Will neither of the cables in the link I sent do the job? I already have them on order that's all.

Thanks,

Max.

8. spirits are real 2016

what are you the punctuation police (comma hash tag) he asked how to wire it up not for an English lesson. Full stop

9. spirits are real 2016

if you have a wall plate the red or brown core is live the black or blue is the neutral and the bare or green yellow is the earth wire.

so brown goes to red/brown live.
    so blue goes black/blue neutral.
    and earth to earth.

10. Max Baumber

Max Baumber Member

Star, thanks as always guys. You lot have saved me a fortune over the last six months.

£75.00 for a sparky to come and wire this in apparently.

Will post pics later on if I've got any more questions.

11. spirits are real 2016

post pictures before you start so we can confirm what you have with pictures of the colours just to be safe.

12. Max Baumber

Max Baumber Member

Thanks Chap.. Will do.

13. robertpstubbs

Although I was taught good spelling and punctuation as a child, I am not dogmatic about rules, but I do try to make what I write intelligible and would like others to do the same.

The fact that you used line breaks in a subsequent post suggests you know what I mean (and I won’t bother to talk about the possible use of colons and semi-colons).

14. Sparkielev

Up to you what cable you use but heat resistant flex is right way to do it, am sure it will work fine for years using pvc but if I was doing this job then heat resistant all the way

15. robertpstubbs

If it is 7000W, this would be 29A at 240V, so 4mm2 flex (which could theoretically handle about 32A) should be OK.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  16. Sparkielev

I wouldn't of posted if I didn't think it could handle it, but thanks for clarifying

17. Max Baumber

Max Baumber Member

18. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

If I was doing the job and the hob didn't come with any flex, I would use 6mm T&E to connect it if there was some on the van, If I had to go out and buy some cable then odds on I would end up buying 6mm T&E anyway because it would be a mission to get the correct cable anyway.

I have noticed just lately that a lot of cables that come with hobs are something like 2.5mm 5 core or even 1.5mm 5 core and the wall connection end has them crimped together, much easier to terminate into the hob than a 6mm or similar.

Alster likes this.
  19. spirits are real 2016

no it is not dangerous I've installed many hobs using that cable just don't forget to sleeve the earth and still going strong all these years later but other electricians have their choice which is all so the correct cable to use.

20. spirits are real 2016

just don't forget the biscuits.