Wirquin Neo 40mm trap with WMC - is this a valve or a faulty washer?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DavidMSmith, May 6, 2019.

1. DavidMSmith

DavidMSmith Member

Hi all,

I am a DIYer fitting out reburb kitchen. Bought a 40mm trap with dishwasher connection from the opposition (T*********n) - sorry folks but no Screwfix near me and on this occasion couldn't make £50 order up for free delivery! Dismantled the trap to fit and noticed that the connection for the dishwasher waste has what appears to be a simple valve in it. I was expecting to see just a rubber washer where the dishwasher waste stub connects into the main part of the trap. I phoned the supplier Wirquin to reassure myself that this was indeed a simple valve to prevent back flow, or whether it was a defective washer. Their technical support was useless - the person I spoke to didn't seem to have any product knowledge nor technical understanding, but eventually got back to me to say that it was a defective washer. I'm not convinced.....
    The valve(?) sits up against the stub face in such a way that it would open when water flows from the dishwasher, but prevent back flow.
    No user installation instructions supplied.
    So before making a special journey to take it back and get another one only to find its the same, can anyone confirm or otherwise that it is supposed to be a back-flow valve rather than a defective washer? Photo attached. T***********n part number 49924.
    Many thanks in anticipation.

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No idea,probably backflow valve, only use quailty McAlpine traps.:)

3. Looks like the centre of the washer hasn't been stamped out properly. I've never seen any sort of valve on a spigot. I'd just cut it out, it'll only cause you bother in the future.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Possible, but Wirquin do same trap with built in air admittance valve,I wonder if parts they use that valve to close off WM spigot when in use.

5. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

its an adaptable blank sealing washer,seen them before where the spigot plug has been removed wm fitted and for some reason not draining :p

The solid inner part needs removing,its not a valve.

WMC :(

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

It's what's known as a 'non return flap valve', very simple in design and supplied by some makes with their waste trap kits with the spigot fitting for dishwasher or washing machine connection. Prevents the possibility of dirty sink water entering the waste pipe to either appliance. Perhaps not an essential part as clearly not supplied by all brands of trap manufacturers and has caused some confusion above :rolleyes:

Also fitted to some washing machines and dishwashers;

https://www.espares.co.uk/product/e...pageNumber=1&SearchTerm=non return flap valve

And supplied with some spigots;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Washing-Machine-Outlet-Non-Return-Valve/dp/B016QYEII8

Its certainly not a damaged or poorly manufactured part or part of a blanking plug - its a 'non return flap valve'

7. DavidMSmith

DavidMSmith Member

Many thanks to everyone for your replies. Very helpful.

8. DavidMSmith

DavidMSmith Member

Got a more credible reply from Wirquin via their website confirming that it is supposed to be like this - so it is indeed a non-return flap valve.

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Er ....... that’s what I said geez ;)

And no, I don’t work for Wirwuin :D