New plumber

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Danny198625, May 16, 2019.

1. Danny198625

Danny198625 New Member

Hi I’m a newly qualified bathroom fitter/plumber setting up my own business and just wondering how do I work pricing up jobs thanks in advance

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's your day rate X how long you think it will take plus the cost of materials plus profit.

CGN and Heat like this.
  3. Danny198625

Danny198625 New Member

Cheers what would a standard day rate be?

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

That depends on how quick you are, where you are and how much money you want.

5. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Note the word “profit”.
    You ideally need profit on top of your wages, or your business future extra costs and if expanding any part of it, would cost you out of your wages.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Not as much as a plasterer!

CGN likes this.
  7. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Become a Painter and you will make more money and with less bother.

Astramax likes this.
  8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You’re already too cheap, but are you any good?

Heat likes this.
  9. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yep you will be so busy and make so much money you wont have enough free time to spend any of it.:)

Heat likes this.
  11. Baxi Boy

Baxi Boy Active Member

You are in a trade that’s always in demand,though you don’t say if gas safe qualified,I’m sure you’ll soon work out what is acceptable in your area,I find people pay about 7x the adult living wage for labour,but it varies in different areas.

12. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

I charge £160 per 8hr day in the north west for larger projects like bathroom refurbs. Or for smaller jobs, £45 for the first hour then £25 per hour after.

I also have a £25 rate for little jobs such as changing a tap cartridge if it’s straightforward.

Try talking to the guys at your local merchants to get a feel for the local rates.

13. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Decent trades are around £250/day down south, plus VAT if you're registered.

14. Baxi Boy

Baxi Boy Active Member

I thought it was a bit steep when I was recently charged £120 cash for replacing a radiator with another of same width,and fitting 2 new thermostatic valves on other radiators.I bought the parts and unpacked them ready,even marked out position of brackets on the wall.I imagined one hour would cover it for professionals,but they made it last rather longer! Hourly rates I’ve found on plumbing and gas jobs average around £60 hour,and bet the tax man doesn’t know about many cash jobs!

15. bigdan2019

bigdan2019 Member

Was the system drained, leak tested and inhibitor added and all radiators bled Or just a quick swap over and top up system

16. MH58

MH58 New Member

I’m retired now, been in the building trade just over 45 years and I have never heard or could charge anything like this. I recently contacted a plumber for a quote on a new small bathroom and was told £860.00 was the callout charge for him to come less than 1.5 miles. This rate is in Devon

17. Baxi Boy

Baxi Boy Active Member

Yes they drained down for a few minutes and added the Adey mc1 which I supplied,then refilled and allowed air out at one rad,started heating and checked all 6 rads were heating evenly.It’s just one of the trades which is expensive and so we have to accept it,though in the time they earn £120,I and many others would get £15-£20 at their jobs,though of course they have to charge 10% to cover their holidays being self employed .

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    bigdan2019 likes this.
  18. Danny198625

Danny198625 New Member

I charged £180 for 5 radiators changing, I’m guessing I under charged (West Yorkshire)

Baxi Boy likes this.
  19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

How long did it take you?

20. Danny198625

Danny198625 New Member

The day more or less