Relaying patio and paths, some advice needed please

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Monkey Chops, May 25, 2019.

1. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Morning all,

Had a patio and some block paving pathways layed in 2009, it was a poor job and is ready for replacing and the pointing has all but disappeared and most flags are now loose, I can do pics if needed. It's riven indian sandstone for the patio, about 20sqm and down the side of the house which is another 20 sqm that I'm looking to do first. The existing riven sandstone is mostly OK, so plan to reuse it and add to it.

I'll be working on my own, so was looking at the slablayer stuff, has anyone used this? Also was looking at geofix and that kind of thing for between the gaps as my neighbour also had a sandstone patio done the same year and his is still in-tact and looking good. The people that laid the neighbour's flags used dry beds and the people that did mine used wet beds and standard mortar for pointing. Any pros and cons for either methods?

Finally, does anyone have recommendations for buying the sandstone from, I've found a few, but never heard of them before, so looking for places that people have used, thanks!

2. I’ve not used the slablayer stuff but I think it’s essentially a pre mixed mortar.
    If they’re around 20/30mm flags you want a wet 4:1 mortar mix laid on a full bed.
    A dry bed is only good for heavy calibrated flags.
    Once you’re done get a brush in jointing product

Monkey Chops likes this.
  3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The best way to lay the sandstone slabs is to lay it on a mortar bed. Probably the reason yours hasn't lasted so well is probably down to the preparatio, the sub base or not priming the back of the slabs. Have a look at the articles on here http://www.pavingexpert.com/stonpv03.htm or the Marshalls site https://www.marshalls.co.uk/homeowners/inspire-me/articles/how-to-lay-sandstone-paving-3159

The good thing about using a mortar mix is that you can go at your own speed and mix up as much as you can lay in one go then have a rest and return to it later on.

Be very wary of buying any cheap Indian Sandstone. In this country with the rain and frost it can delaminate very easily and once it starts the surface becomes unusable

Monkey Chops likes this.