Any good problem sorters out there?

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by dvddvd, May 25, 2019.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi all, Ill explain my problem:

I have a AV room at home with my HIFi and Av equipment in.

Im having a change round and previously I had my TV on the wall and I had a electric projector screen which at a press of a button used to unroll in front of my TV and i used to project my movies on it.

Since buying some behind the screen speakers Im going to have a permanent fixed screen and the speakers will be behind the acoustic transparent screen.

My Tv will be fitted to a TV lift

https://www.hiddentvlift.co.uk/our-...MI45vLnI-24gIVg-F3Ch2alAzGEAQYAiABEgJcZ_D_BwE

and will now at a press of a button come down from the ceiling space over my fixed projector screen (the TV will just be used for watching the news etc)

Ive bought a TV lift mechanism with a 1000mm stroke, but after reading up on it I didnt realise that if its used in a cupboard and lifts your TV into place the max weight is 100kg, but if its used upside down the max weight is 29kg (which i will be)

My Tv weighs 32kg!

Trying to work out a solution?

I did think since its a 100kg weight limit normal way and the way im using it there would be no weight at all since its coming down, could i put some sort of spring on it so it stretches the spring when coming down? And then when it closes the spring would reduce the weight a little of what the motor has to pull back up?

Any ideas? Other solution would be to buy a lighter TV !

2. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I talked to the suppliers and they said on paper its 29kg max weight but he could not give me it in writing but he did think there would be some tolerance in the 29kg weight limit

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

There has to be a substantial safety factor built in.

Rulland and KIAB like this.
  4. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

But if your TV hits the deck don't expect any sort of insurance as you've gone against manufacturer's recommendations :rolleyes:

5. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

So what about adding two springs to the lift?

6. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

and how would you calculate?

7. andyscotland

andyscotland Active Member

It's hard to be certain, but my hunch is the rating is nothing actually to do with the motor.

It's more likely there's a safety factor (as chippie said) applied to a component(s) in the mechanism itself. E.g. there'll be a steel bracket with a calculated breaking point of say 145kg. When it's on the ground and only likely to smash the telly they give it a rating of 100kg. When it's in the air and could land on someone they apply a higher margin of error and so give an official safe working load of 29kg.

If the motor can push a 100kg TV up from the ground and back again I'd guess it can manage the same the other way round.

Springs won't help with the load limit - since you're only just over and the manufacturer has unofficially said it'll probably be ok my temptation would be just to fit it and see how you go. And don't spend a long time sitting right underneath it ;)

8. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Thanks, Its not arrived yet but when it does Ill have a look and see how it works and see what possibly could go wrong.thanks