Where to buy crazy paving from - London?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by baracus, Jun 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. baracus

baracus Member

I think it will become popular again.

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

It's in the same bucket as Artex and pebble dash ... some of the worst things that have ever been done to British houses.

teabreak and KIAB like this.
  3. baracus

baracus Member

Matter of opinion.

4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Don't forget stone cladding!

rogerk101 and Hans_25 like this.
  5. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Just get some Paving slabs.
    And a big hammer.

chippie244 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Never............you mean worse than York Stone cladding...........surely not.:D

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Used to get ex council broken slabs for £1 sq mtr 30 years ago.............now every pavement slab is broken as the councils cant afford to replace them!:eek:

8. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Got a stack of half a dozen ex council pavement slabs, had to move them this afternoon, forgot how thick and heavy they are, reckon they must be 60-70mm thick and prob 60+kg

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’m in Essex and here it’s really hard to buy crazy paving (ok, only tried to buy some twice so not an actual expert on the subject I must admit) :)

Needed some for mother in law as she wanted a flower bed filling in and paved to match existing

Problem buying new / broken slabs is that they look new, here patio has been down 20+ years and was built with used slabs - old council pavements so new addition would have screamed

The council used to sell their broken slabs but haven’t done this for years they told me

I phoned up loads of building yards, no luck, they suggested re-claim yards

Phoned up around 6 with no luck, yards that do have crazy pave from time to time sell it as soon as it comes in. 2 places put me on a waiting list :)

It’s so much in demand by landscapers that they buy the lot as soon as a yard get some in - or they get the shout direct

It’s not that it’s that popular now, more that it’s so bluddy hard to lay your hands on

I’ve driven past few houses lately that have had their crazy paving taken up and it’s been advertised for sale ...... it’s a valuable commodity, money in muck and too good for the skip

If you have some coloured slabs, the old red and yellow, now that will really be in demand

Funny old world really

So, try reclaim yards

teabreak likes this.
  10. baracus

baracus Member

Very interesting DIYDave, yes a few yellows and reds in the mix would be perfect.

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Free cycle.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Like these ones Dave;) Bought these yellow and red 1970's Thakeham Slabs secondhand a while back and was lucky to find the charcoal 9" locally, I paid £25 for 25 sq yards of the yellow and red ones, cleaned up very well with Sodium Hypochlorite the washed over with a power washer, the marks on them are todays rain showers.

Attached Files:

13. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Hey Astra, my mums patio used to be covered in those.

Astramax likes this.
  14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Memories of the time when life was less complicated!;)