Getting into a sealed ceramic toilet cistern

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by tuwilliger, Apr 30, 2019.

1. tuwilliger

tuwilliger New Member

Hi all,

Our toilet is letting a small but consistent amount of water into the bowl between flushes so I need to get into the cistern.

However, the cistern part is a completely sealed ceramic unit down to the pan (i.e. it has no 'lid') and I'm struggling to find the model to work out how to get in.

I am able to start to unscrew the flush fitting, but not sure if I can just lift it all up or if there's a proper technique. Can anyone help identify the make/brand or how to get in from the pics? Thanks!

IMG_1425.JPG IMG_1426.JPG IMG_1428.JPG

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    tuwilliger likes this.
  3. tuwilliger

tuwilliger New Member

Fantastic, thank you @KIAB

Looking over the instructions, am I correct in thinking I can unscrew the locking ring and lift the ceramic cover without needing to shut off the water or anything (i.e. the ceramic cover is literally sat over an independent unit)?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes.

But,I still isolate the water to cistern,better safe than sorry,learnt that the hard way.:oops:

CGN and tuwilliger like this.
  5. tuwilliger

tuwilliger New Member

Thanks so much for your help

KIAB likes this.
  6. tuwilliger

tuwilliger New Member

Hi all,

Finally found some time when the whole family were out to shut down water and get into the cistern as there's a continuous slow but steady trickle of water into the pan (constant hissing sound). Have taken some pictures of what I now see - does anyone have any advice for what needs fixing and how? Feels like the blue lever is a part of it but even when i pull it fully up so it's off there is still a very small trickle. Help much appreciated

Attached Files:

7. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

1. Isolate the water coming into the cistern.
    2. Remove the flush valve (big white plastic bit in the middle). Try pushing it down slightly and turning it (gently) anti-clockwise (max. 1/4 turn, more likely 1.8th or less). They are usually on a bayonet type fitting.
    3. Check the washer at the bottom of the flush valve and its seating in the bit left in the cistern for bits off grit and the washer for bubbles in the rubber. Clean grit if present. If bubbles, or anyway as you've got it apart, replace washer.
    4. The inlet valve is the bit on the right, with the blue plastic float arm attached.
    4a. Take the cover off the valve. (see below)
    4b. Inside there will be some form of diaphragm washer. Get a new one and fit it.
    5. Reassemble all and test.

I'm not sure what type of inlet and flush valves they are, but the inlet looks like a Geberit Impuls 360. If so, flush valve also likely to be Geberit.

tuwilliger likes this.
  8. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

If the inlet valve is a Geberit valve and proves to be faulty then you can buy what is called the cartridge, which includes a washer seal and the blue armed part.
    Try toiletspares.co.uk online for identification and parts.
    You can also order a seal washer for the flush valve (the large middle part) from there if needed

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    tuwilliger likes this.
  9. tuwilliger

tuwilliger New Member

Thank you both - will take a look at your advice later this week and report back. Appreciate your time and help.

10. tuwilliger

tuwilliger New Member

@andy48 @Heat just wanted to let you know it was the washer at bottom of flush valve - one side had a bubble, turned it over, put it all back together and it's fixed it. Will obv need a replacement in time but at least I know how to do it now / what it was.

One small note to any else using this thread, the flush valve has two clips on either side (you have to kind of reach down and feel around a bit) as opposed to twisting off via a bayonet fitting.

Thanks to you both.

Heat likes this.
  11. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Must be a Geberit flush valve by the looks of it.
    Typical of those to have a grey rubber seal washer that does blister.
    You can pierce the blister if you wished.
    The new replacement washer is a white silicone rubber type and much better