location location location

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by hi2u_uk, Jun 16, 2019.

1. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Member

just looking at houses to buy , i currently live in a flat so am looking at houses:

i) one is a house in the area i live but in the middle of a small council housing estate

ii) the other is out in suburbia , same price , leafy area . Main issue here is the cost increase in terms of public transport when traveling into the centre .

which would you think is best - both are advertised for the same price and the same number of rooms. The 2nd one in surbubia has more "kerb appeal" and perhaps lower council tax :oops:

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Always go for the more desirable location.

koolpc and KIAB like this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

+1

2nd one also might be cheaper for house insurance,& if you ever want to sell,it's the better option.

4. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Member

im not sure what is the desirable location
    the area where is live is desirable but the street the house isnt because its in a small estate which to be honest i didnt know existed until recently
    suburbia is desirable but the cost of traveling is higher , also not so sure the buses and trains are as frequent

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

You are answering your own question really.

One is in a not too desirable road in the middle of the city. The other isnt.

KIAB likes this.
  6. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Member

Im not so sure about this. The one in the suburbs has been on the market since Jan and been reduced in price The one down the road has only been on 3 weeks i doubt it will be on for so many months. Being in the city has many more amenities at your doorstep , its not a hassle for people to get here as well, wider range of tradesmen to choose from and shopswhich make it a more desirable location just not a desirable street

The suburbs looks nice but not so much on your doorstep and public transport isnt as great

Ideally i would like the average house price round here to fall so i dont have to look so further out although the main issue is that not many houses come on the market round here just lots of flats

7. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

It is your personal opinion really.
    You either prefer the Townie lifestyle - shops etc and bus and trains close by,
    or you prefer the quieter more upmarket region with lots of trees and more middle class types of folk, but extra costs to travel.
    Personally I like to be outside of towns and cities, but close enough to commute.
    Also consider outdoor space (garden and parking for your cars etc) and other potentials including nearby schools and if they are to a higher standard, if you have kids now or in the future.
    I would rather breath air that had less vehicle fumes also

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

This is a subjective view.

You are buying so I guess you decide.

I know which I would have.

9. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

A lot depends on the transport links really and traffic. Also I suppose life style and how some one wants their kids to grow up. It can be complicated. For instance I'm not all that far from B'ham city centre. Best way there is the train. If I moved further out and not far from a station in any direction it still would be with little difference in time. Most shopping is easy as close enough to have a range of shops but sometimes travel to Redditch for shopping as it's quicker and parking a lot easier. Work wise - city centre, not if I can help it. Rather travel out from B'ham.

:) I wouldn't comment with out 2 links to google maps showing roughly where they are.

John
    -

10. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Better to buy the worst house in the best location than the best house in the worst location.

11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Spot on.

A scruffy house in a great location is an easy sell.

A stonker of a house in a warzone is going to be tough to shift.

12. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Member

upload_2019-6-16_19-9-16.png upload_2019-6-16_19-12-22.png

Thanks for the replies, i went to look around both locations but im still unconvinced, the house in suburbia is in a more tree lined area but i dont think that this makes up for the inconvenience there will be in getting to places like the centre and shops etc
    House one is in a small estate about 15mins walk from where i currently live but it is surrounded by nice houses, im not so sure i want to live in that environment even though the general location is very good

13. peter palmer

The one on the left looks like something out of Shameless, other one looks much nicer, why do you need to be near shops, everything gets brought to you door nowadays.

goldenboy and chippie244 like this.
  14. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Think I would carry on looking. ;) I grew up on a B'ham overspill estate. Tip or terraced but more likely to be ex council. I didn't live in one but e friend pointed out the best have the hallway and front door between each house - much less noise from neighbours,. Rest of the party wall usually forms kitchen and bathroom plus maybe a toilet.

John
    -

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

No contest.

16. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

[​IMG]
    Is there 4 front doors here? = 4 families.
    If the choice was only one of these.....
    But Personally I would carry on looking.

17. peter palmer

Th
    4 nice families though, look at the first house - council = loud music, tennants beating the **** out of each other, shouting, swearing, gobby kids, motorbikes, dog turds, corsas with cherry bombs at 2am. The second house = a long but pleasant walk to the shops.

18. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Wouldn’t want either of those.
    Nowhere to build the garage.

19. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

What’s wrong with Motorbikes?

20. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Member

Gosh sooo much snobbery on here :oops: