UPVC back door beading - cant get it back in - HELP

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Mrs Kim Lusty, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Mrs Kim Lusty

Mrs Kim Lusty New Member

Hi, recently bought a house, back upvc door bottom panel had a cat flap on that's leaking - measured up then panel and ordered a new one to replace it, minus the cat flap
    It came, cut it to size, took out old panel, put new one in and now cannot get the long side beading back in at all.
    Have tried hitting it really hard but it just wont go in at all.
    The beading is solid and cannot be bent in to place, the shorter sections top and bottom are not mitered so the longer beads sit slightly over the top of them.
    The panel that was in there measured at 26mm thickness, but I could only find 24mm or 28mm thickness, so I ordered the 28mm so it wouldn't be loose - maybe I did the wrong thing and should have gone smaller?

Any tips on how to get the beading back on, I have tried starting at either end, starting in the middle, getting the front lip in first, getting the back one in first, nothing works, it's just not nudging in to place and I am about to smash it all up through frustration and anger - please help a girl out before I do some damage!

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As you’ve found out, these beads are a tight fit at the best of times !

You’ve added 2mm to panel, doesn’t seem like much but now giving you agro :(

Always important as well to replace beads in same positions that they came off door

Although this is more to do with the mitres in each corner possibly being slightly off and even length of each bead

But ..... in this case, simply that extra 2mm thick panel

Could try soaking beads in really hot water ...... really hot .... maybe flat in the bath for 5/10 mins then immediately try and fit again, may soften the gasket just a tad and allow a little more compression

Go easy hitting them really hard, guess ur simply using a hammer ?

Either rubber or wooden mallet or if not, hold a piece of wood against bead and hammer that

Should protect the bead against damage and also helps to spread the hammer blows

Worth a try / good luck :)

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

watched a window fitter and they pop each corner in first and then spring it in.

wiggy likes this.
  4. Mrs Kim Lusty

Mrs Kim Lusty New Member

Thanks, have been using a rubber mallet as don't want to damage them, will try the bath idea, thankyou

5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I'm sure Dave doesn't mean as hot as you would have your own bath - if you're anything like Mrs Eckerslike. That's the temperature of larva.
    If you can get the top and bottom beads in, are you able to tap some slim wedges under them towards the corners of the door to push the panel further into the door which might allow you to get the side beads in?
    Or, get a cat and put the old panel back in.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi Willy

Actually I did mean hot bath water yup, it ain’t gonna damage the upvc or gasket and may just soften things a tad to enable the bead to pop in

The op has added 2mm thickness to panel, not a lot I know but maybe gasket has hardened due to age

As for the temperature of your dear wife’s bath water ...... I couldn’t possibly comment or incriminate myself but, poaching a lobster springs to mind :p

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Didn't notice a bath with the double glazing fitter I watched!o_O..............for ideas try YouTube vids under Double Glazing Beading for the easy way to do it.;)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Are you putting it in with the rubber gasket fitted?

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Maybe I’m using the wrong term when I say ‘gasket’ but DGU and beads that I’ve popped out (admittedly not hundreds) the rubber seal has been moulded onto bead - so bead and seal is all in one piece

Spose different types used amongst manufacturers and we don’t know exact type OP has

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Did have that thought but as DIYDave has mentioned some have the rubber seal and bead as a one piece unit.

11. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

As Astra says stick the corners in first

One corner, bend the trim to get the other corner in and it should pop in easily enough with a glazing hammer, as also said you tube will help

Astramax likes this.
  12. Mrs Kim Lusty

Mrs Kim Lusty New Member

The beads are rigid and don't bend at all unfortunately, they sit slightly over the top and bottom bead, it is a very old door

13. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Are the beads upvc?

Skip to about 3m

14. Mrs Kim Lusty

Mrs Kim Lusty New Member

Yes but are rigged, not like the one in the video they wont bend at all

15. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Yes they will, they just need a bit of brute force, it's plastic it will bend

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Try with a piece of wood, about 6” long, sitting on bead(doesn’t need to be exact) and a regular hammer

Wood will spread the hammer blows over a larger area and try angle the hammer and timber inwards towards the inner panel and you vent ur frustration on this ‘simple’ job :eek:

Just mind ur fingers please ;)

17. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Dave unless the OP can bend the beading to get the corners in hitting it with a sledge hammer won't make a difference.

The corners need to go in first and then it's just a gentle tap

18. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yeah yeah true mate, possibly beads have lost their flex due to age

May take a bit more than gentle tap as inner panel is now 2mm thicker than original panel

Yep, only 2mm but these beads are tight and again, rubber seal/gasket could well be stiff as well

The old saying ‘you'll know when it’s in’ springs to mind ;)

19. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Ok. One last time. The corners need to go in first AS PER THE VIDEO.

I would suggest the OP gets in a professional. End of......

Astramax likes this.
  20. Mrs Kim Lusty

Mrs Kim Lusty New Member

Hi everyone, just wanted to say thanks so much for your help, I have successfully replaced the beading using a block of wood as @DIYDave. Suggested so thanks so much. Started in the middle and worked my way out to corners and it went in beautifully - no professional needed

WillyEckerslike likes this.