Pooling on patio

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by GloriA, Jun 24, 2019.

1. GloriA

GloriA New Member

Hi

I have a low point on my patio where it runs along the side to my back/side door. After heavy rain I have a large puddle. It's been suggested to put a soakaway there but it would be less than a meter from the back of my garage wall and my house wall.
    Is this feasible as I've read that soakaways need to be 5meters from property.
    Is there any other solutions?

2. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

re lay patio

masterdiy likes this.
  3. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Soakaway isn't a runner, you could possibly put a drain there that leads to a soakaway but then you have the problem of putting in a pipe for the rain water underneath the patio.

Best solution is to relay it properly noting how rain water will be taken care of.

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It may be possible to lay some sort of channel system (Acco or similar) into existing surface water drainage.

5. gas monkey

all that when its easer to re lay

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

There's simply not enough information to know that.

It could be surrounded on four sides and poorly designed - never going to shed water.
    It might be 4" thick york stone laid on concrete with a mini digger before the extension was built and you can't get it in any more.
    Who's to know it's not 200m2 but there's a downpipe in one corner...

You get my drift. We're all guessing in the absence of meaningful information on which to offer correct solutions

7. gas monkey

whatever but i would re lay have done with it regarless of the prob do it right

8. GloriA

GloriA New Member

Thanks for all you comments.

The slabs were laid on sand.

I don't have much faith in the guy who wants to do the soak away (he laid the patio).
    The patio slops from right to left then runs around a corner to the rear of my garage and back door. It does slop from garden to rear of garage. Think he should of done some sort of drainage there at the time.
    Would a drainage channel across the width of the slabs from fence line to building solve the problem (there are just 2 slabs across x 5 along side of building).

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If it was just laid on sand it can have a short lifespan especially if they have used sand which is too soft or your have a clay soil which moves a lot. Because of ground movement and rain the sand washes out from under a slab. Of course the more it moves, the more it puddles and then the more it moves and so on.

If they are laid on sand they will pull up quite easily, and more sand (or mortar) put down and re-levelled. However, that will probably last for a while before needs redoing again.

Have a look at the website below, it is quite an easy to read to guide and is quite informative

http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag1.htm