Strimmer not working , seems plate is hitting plug

Discussion in 'Screwfix Deals' started by Neilcmusic, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Neilcmusic

Neilcmusic New Member

I've got a petrol strimmer which was known to be faulty when purchased but I need some advice please , it hasn't got a model number/ make on it so I can't refer to a manual , I've had a few strimmers before so I know that the fuel mix is correct . It won't start. Filter looks clean , wires are all clean , plug is really clean !!.
    The problem I have is this , the gap on the plug was almost closed , I pulled the cord when the plug was out and it sounds sweet , I opened the gap a little and put it back in ( little stubby plug , looks correct ) now it seems the metal plate that rises and falls with the cord being pulled is actually hitting the plug and closing the gap , also although the plug sits correctly and the cord returns it's definitely more difficult to pull the cord with the plug in , it's almost as if the plug is too long ? As I says it's not a motor plug it's a tiny stubby thing , any suggestions would be appreciated , thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Post a photo of strimmer.

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Petrol. Spark. Air.. It will run like any engine.. Test all 3

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Spark Plug usually something like NGK BPMR7A,
    but it could a be a slightly shorter one.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

The metal plate you refer to is actually the piston and the reason it's easier to turn the engine over with the plug out is because there's no compression. It sounds like the plug is the wrong one. If you cannot identify the make/model to find the correct one online, you're going to have to go to a horticultural machinery workshop to get things sorted.

Do you get a spark with the plug removed and shorted against the cylinder when you pull the starter cord?

6. Neilcmusic

Neilcmusic New Member

I'll check that later. Thanks

7. Neilcmusic

Neilcmusic New Member

Ok , I get a spark , the strimmer is a PWR21CCGTA , I think its a b and q own brand , I've included a picture of the plug , the piston may not be hitting the plug but when the plug is inserted its a hell of a job pulling the cord out it doesn't glide in and out like it does when it the plugs out , it does come all the way out and retract but its lumpy and it doesnt start

Attached Files:

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Spark plug should be a ALM CJ8, which would something like a NGK BM7A,which has a threadreach of 9.5mm.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  9. Neilcmusic

Neilcmusic New Member

It seems to be spitting oil/fuel out when I'm pulling the cord with plug out , I'm assuming if it's "wet" it won't ignite , but this wouldn't explain the uneven rope tension would it ?