Thin end panel

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Urban Bumpkin, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Urban Bumpkin

Urban Bumpkin Member

This was exactly what I was after. Where can I get something like this?

2. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

A local metal fabricator. Where are you?

Urban Bumpkin likes this.
  3. Urban Bumpkin

Urban Bumpkin Member

I’m just south of Birmingham

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Any local sheet metal company should be able to cut and bend. 20mm at the bottom so it can go under the edge of the dishwasher and 80mm at the top. Only need to be 200mm wide and 3 or 4mm thick.

5. robertpstubbs

Make sure the person doing the work understands that the total height is the important dimension, whilst the exact size of the flanges is less important.

If anything it could be fractionally too short in height and you could use spacers or washers to adjust.

6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

If you just want to support the end of that worktop, don't bother with the hassle of getting metal fabrications. Get a piece of square tube or angle iron and run it under the front edge of the sink, out the end panel and under the front edge. A piece of 20mmsq tube would be ideal. If there is an existing bit of chip framing across the top front of the sink cab, just remove it and replace with the bar to support the front of the sink wt.

Easier to get a piece of straight than faff about with fabrications.

7. robertpstubbs

I’d been wondering about something like that but it could be fiddly. In my kitchen there is solid wood rather than chip framing and the vertical central support is fastened to it.

8. Urban Bumpkin

Urban Bumpkin Member

Sorry I’m being thick. Is that just a 600mm long square tube running along the front edge of the worktop?
    How does this fix to the sink cabinet? Sorry I am being thick

9. robertpstubbs

Open the doors under the sink and take a photo.

10. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

is the worktop thick enough to be self supporting is it made from solid wood
    another idea go above with a panel if blocks too much light cant see how high the f/f is
    or may be a s/steel tube from w/t to ceiling make a feture of look kinki just a thought

11. Urban Bumpkin

Urban Bumpkin Member

FC03436E-88FF-462F-9F28-59DBBC895C29.jpeg

12. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

That is another idea, although I could get a piece of 3mm x 200 wide with two bends made quicker that cutting square tube to length.

Recently had five 2.4m long, angles with 20 and 30 mm sides created - took under 10 minutes. The piece needed would take a local fabricator 2 minutes with a guillotine and press.

13. robertpstubbs

How thick and deep is the white chipboard piece under the worktop?

What is the gap above the DW?

If I went down the square tube idea I would be inclined to the leave the chip in place and put the steel under it and behind the centre support. Then you would need more chip under under the w/t over the DW to keep the distance.

You could put a wooden strip over the front to make it look ok.

14. robertpstubbs

Also that would make it easier to make holes in the cabinet ends. You could just drill a round 28mm hole.

28 is 20 x 1.414. 1.414 is the square root of 2.

15. Urban Bumpkin

Urban Bumpkin Member

The chipboard is 18mm thick and 26mm deep. Although the sink is tight against it.

The gap between the dishwasher and the wt is between 45-50mm (depending which end your measuring

16. robertpstubbs

You would have the height to put 20mm tube over 18mm chip above the DW. Any plans to change the DW for a bigger one?

17. robertpstubbs

But you wouldn’t get 20mm tube behind the centre support if the chip is only 26mm deep. This might limit how far across the sink the steel would go. Ideally I have taken it the full width of the sink cupboard.

18. Urban Bumpkin

Urban Bumpkin Member

Not at the moment, it’s a new one that’s only a couple of months old

19. Urban Bumpkin

Urban Bumpkin Member

I was thinking that already. There was some kind of structural logic in my head (which is probably misplaced) that if the supported length is 600 then the supporting length needs to be at least the same, 1200 in total.

20. Urban Bumpkin

Urban Bumpkin Member

What about a quick interim fix of cutting down the end panel to the height between the wt and the dw. Then just resting the work top onto this which is resting on the end of the dw?