Permanently removing old wired burglar alarm

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Alex24488, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Alex24488

Alex24488 New Member

I have a wired burglar alarm that is old and has a mind of its own and I am upgrading this to a wireless smart alarm. My plan is to disconnect the battery and the mains and remove the larger alarm box (in the downstairs loo) and also remove the control panel from the wall along with the sensors by cutting the cables and pushing them into the wall and plastering over them. As they will have no power supply will this be ok?

Also when I remove the old box I will have the mains supply left I was hoping that I can just put a normal socket with a blanking plate over this?

Any help is appreciated

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

What you suggest above is fine.

3. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

you might not be able to put a socket in its place it all depends where the supply comes from some alarms are supplied from the lighting circuit so not suitable for a mains socket do you know what size cable is supplying it.

Mits likes this.
  4. Alex24488

Alex24488 New Member

I have no idea, does it matter if it’s lights or mains circuit when a blank socket is put on as it will not be used. This is why I put it on here before I did anything. I’ve attached pictures of the wire for the mains that comes to it if that helps? Thanks

Attached Files:

5. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

that looks like 1.5 can you find out where the other end is and disconnect from there so it doesn't get powered up in the future.

6. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

You would need to know how and where it's connected and wire size to see if a socket could be added. It would need to be on the power circuits and the protection mcb, fuse etc would need to be suitably rated. 1.5mm cable to a socket can only be used via a fused connection unit. That's assuming a spur off a 2.5mm ring and I would assume a 4mm radial. The connection unit limits max draw to 13amps.

Hard to judge cable sizes from a picture. Rough idea, 2.5mm is about 10mm across the width of the outer insulation. 1mm about 8.5mm so 1.5mm will be some where in between and not much different to 1mm. Real answer is to measure the live or neutral diameter and work it out - probably come out a little under the stated area. :) Good way of electrocuting yourself as insulated micrometers are a bit rare.

It sounds to me that a spark could probably convert it to a socket for you but the connection unit wouldn't be near the socket or surface mount or make holes in wall etc for another back box. Not sure about the limitations if any on sockets in a loo.

John
    -