Aluminium paint (not primer) on bare wood - how to remove?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by batty12, Jul 23, 2019.

1. batty12

batty12 New Member

20 years ago we were advised to use aluminium primer for our new windows, but my partner who despises instructions bought aluminium paint (metallic) instead. He duly painted the bare wood with it then undercoated and top coated over it. It stuck to the wood really well but unfortunately the other coats didn't stick to it. I've patched it up over the years but now I've bitten the bullet and have scraped off all the old undercoat and top coats but the remnants of the aluminium paint are still there, obstinately refusing to come off. Does anyone know how to remove it? I've tried sanding but can't get it all off. Would aluminium primer stick to it better than the other paints have?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Make the surface smooth and paint over it using Zinsser Bullseye 123 as a primer then use what paint you like over it, Screwfix stock it. ;)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  3. batty12

batty12 New Member

Thanks Astramax, sounds interesting. I see it is water-based. Is it good for external use?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sure is 100%. for a paint finish take a look at Bedec Barn Paint, Bedec MSP, Sadolin Superdec all water base products that are self undercoating and all give excellent results with 8 years plus protection. Google on YouTube for demonstrations.